Neck joint on Charvel Model 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck joint on Charvel Model 4

When looking at my 4 from the side, where the neck rises out of the neck pocket, is it normal for these to be a downward slope? (higher at body, lower toward headstock) Or should I ck mine for some radical shim?
    None of my other axes do this. Thanks

It is normal on guitars with a Floyd. The neck pocket is routed with a slight angle so the neck tilts back at about a 4° angle. This is necessary in order for the strings to parallel the neck properly since the bridge sits higher off the guitar compared to that of a vintage-style trem, like on a Fender Strat.

Comment

this is what I figured as it is perfectly Linear from the bridge to the nut. I just never noticed the height difference on other floyd axes. Dk2, RG570, kramer 6000..
      guess this is partially why my 4 is absolute perfection to play!

Comment

Those other axes have recessed floyds, so there is no angle. Sorry, I should have said the angle is normal on guitars with non-recessed floyds.
        Last edited by dg; 10-11-2006, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Oh yeah! That explains it!! I should have caught that too! The Kramers dont.. One has a shim in it. Maybe I should shim the other...
          Thanks for setting me straight!!

Comment

My old Kramer Focus had a non-recessed Floyd with no andle to the neck pocket. Without a shim and low action, I only got a little bit of pull back on the floyd. With a shim, the bridge was higher and I got lots of pull-up.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
              My old Kramer Focus had a non-recessed Floyd with no andle to the neck pocket. Without a shim and low action, I only got a little bit of pull back on the floyd. With a shim, the bridge was higher and I got lots of pull-up.
              Ok, so Im not nuts.. I have 4 Kramers and non have an angle to the pocket.. this Charvel is the only one

My 4 is poetry in motion!

Comment

Yeah this perplexed me as I never noticed this angle on my Model series Charvels before. The first time I noticed it was when Budman added black binding on a maple neck for his Charvel. Seeing the binding sloping down made it appear like the neck was crooked in the pocket as your eyes are used to seeing things run parallel especially when it comes to guitars using the strings as a baseline. I stood corrected, and that's why I love this site, as much as I think I know, I always have something to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson-Charvel View Post
                  that's why I love this site, as much as I think I know, I always have something to learn.
                  Word!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X