Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting a guitar body and installing a floyd rose

Hello folks:

I'm getting a custom guitar body and will have to send it to a specialized shop to get it painted. I will be using an original floyd rose trem and it will be non-recessed. The question is: should I have the body painted and then install the floyd rose studs or could I install the studs before getting the body painted?

Install the studs after painting.
    If for some reason you ever had to remove them, they wouldn't trash the finish coming out.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
      Install the studs after painting.
      If for some reason you ever had to remove them, they wouldn't trash the finish coming out.

Yeah, but you run the risk of buggering up the finish while installing them instead, and that risk is greater in my experience... IMO definitely before for that reason. It´s rare for someone to need to remove a properly seated Floyd bushing if he´s not swapping trems.... and then he´s drilling into the finish anyway if he´s not just swapping to a different floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus View Post
        Yeah, but you run the risk of buggering up the finish while installing them instead, and that risk is greater in my experience... IMO definitely before for that reason. It´s rare for someone to need to remove a properly seated Floyd bushing if he´s not swapping trems.... and then he´s drilling into the finish anyway if he´s not just swapping to a different floyd.
        +1

I did a refin with a TOM bridge and managed to crack the laquer when puttin the post holders in afterwards.
        www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

Also, re: removal.

It´s no real feat to score a finish around a bushing with a scalpel so as to have the chips stop at exactly the edges of the hole

Comment

Put the anchors in BEFORE you refin they seat better on raw wood.You will probably crack the finish putting them in later.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I put my posts in after the respray and cure, no issues at all, just put a towel over the body and thumped em in.

Comment

Originally posted by bibz View Post
                I put my posts in after the respray and cure, no issues at all, just put a towel over the body and thumped em in.
                Same here... installed 3 Floyds this way already... not a single issue.
                -Rick

Comment

Working...
                X