Wires!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wires!

I tried to understand connections in my King V but i failed. In neck pickup (original Jackson pickup) red and white wires are soldered together and grounded, while black and green are both connected to a 3-way switch. That suggests a parallel connection, but I can't make a serial one.
    The bridge pickup is a DiMarzio connected in series wiring.
    Any suggestions?

Do you have your color codes right?
    http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/c...kupcolorcodes/

Comment

I had only this, but it didn't work http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...lor_codes.html

Comment

so it should be red and white together and then green is hot and black is ground?

But that doesn't work..

Comment

The red and white should be together, but not be grounded (unless you already changed that).
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

but the problem is that if redwhite are not grounded and green and black separately the whole thing doesn't work at all..

Comment

Red and white soldered together and taped off (not grounded)Jackson pickups are color coded like Duncans.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

something funny! how is that possible?! black grounded and red as a hot gives me a humbucker even if other wires are hanging loose..
                F$%#!!

Comment

Impossible... you've got some wires mixed up there.
                  SD and Jackson pups are not color coded the same.
                  Green is ground on an SD where as Jackson uses the black lead as a ground. SD and Duncan Designed pups are the same.
                  Remember... DiMarzio uses a different color scheme as well.

Wiring shots taking from here... http://www.guitarelectronics.com/cat...kupcolorcodes/

Last edited by rjohnstone; 10-09-2006, 05:19 PM.
                  -Rick

Comment

but.. if it was possible (what I can't understand..) what could be the reason? if there is in fact something mixed up inside my humbucker should I see what's inside or is it vaacum sealed or sth like that and I could easily damage it?
                    (I've found every single possible wiring diagram, but not the diagram is a problem here apparently)

Comment

You sure it's acting like a humbucker?
                      Black ground and red as a hot should give you a single coil.
                      Tap the poles on both sides with the tip of a screw driver. If it's clear, it's hot... if it's muddy or muffled, the side is dead.
                      -Rick

Comment

well, I'm pretty sure it acts as a humbucker - if I solder remaining ones it stops working. if I ground one of them and other connect with a hot one nothing changes. But the sound seems to be as loud as from my bridge pickup, which is perfect (DiMarzio).
                        it's strange..

Comment

You're getting beyond my skill level with pups.
                          I know you can get internal shorts in a pup or wires breaking inside, but I've never seen/heard one doing what you are describing.

EDIT:
                          Based on your original wiring description, you sure that's an original Jackson pup?
                          Looking over some wiring diagrams, red/white together and grounded with black and green tied to the toggle... sounds like an Anderson pup running in parallel mode.
                          Last edited by rjohnstone; 10-09-2006, 05:55 PM.
                          -Rick

Comment

Arcadiush, you need to disconnect the pickup and start from scratch, wiring the pickup correctly. The red & white should not have been grounded (just soldered together & taped or shrink-wrapped), and only the black wire should be wired to the switch. Green & shield go to ground. The info RJ posted is correct. The green & black are flip-flopped on Jackson vs. Duncan, but on my guitars w/ Jackson pickups they came from the factory using black as hot & green as ground. It only becomes an issue if you mix brands or if there is coil-splitting involved, then you may have to take polarity into account. Get a schematic for your guitar's configuration from seymourduncan.com or from guitarelectronics.com and start from scratch.

*edit- I missed the part about the DiMarzio in the bridge. In that case, you'll probably want green hot & black to ground so it works right when both pickups are on.
                            Last edited by dg; 10-09-2006, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Looking back at how they had it wired, I think the intent was to split the coils & let you select between them. I don't think it could have worked as a humbucker, since the red/white connection was grounded (common way to split coils).

Comment

Working...
                              X