Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the standard size of an original floyd rose trem block?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the standard size of an original floyd rose trem block?

I know there are 32, 37, and 43 mm trem block sizes, but I can't see places where they will offer these options. What's the standard size that comes on original floyd rose trem blocks?

that still is rather non descript as they usually come in 32 or 37mm. This depends on whether or not you have a non recessed or recessed trem respectively... companies producing them offer different blocks for different sets up for sale. The size is typically stamped in the block.

Comment

I think the standard size used to be 42 mm, because people would buy Floyds and upgrade their old Fenders to a non-recessed Floyd. I don't know if that's still the standard, or if they've changed it to 32 mm to reflect current trends.

Comment

From your other post, I gather you are putting together a project w/ a non-recessed trem. All of mine are non-recessed and they are all 42mm. Unless there's something special about your guitar's body, or you want to set it up with the trem lowered to rest on the body, 42mm should work. My recommendation would be to buy from someone that takes phone orders rather than just online checkout, like Carvin or Ed Roman. Roman actually has decent prices & most likely has better things to do than fuck you over on a trem purchase, but Carvin will probably be nicer to deal with. Tell them exactly what you want & you'll be fine.

Comment

I'm sorry for asking this very basic question, but what is the difference between a recessed and a non-recessed trem? I ask because I'm not really used to Floyds, I have had them on guitars, but never really took the time to study them. I like them a lot though
          "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Recessed:

Non-Recessed:

The recessed trem came about in the late '80s when Steve Vai wanted his Floyded guitars to have more of the feel of a strat with a vintage trem, with the strings closer to the body. With a non-recessed trem, the strings sit higher off the body, similar to a guitar w/ a tunamatic bridge, and the neck is angled back to accomodate the angle of the strings, like the neck of a Les Paul. The recessed trem brings the string height at the bridge down and eliminates the need to angle the neck back.

Comment

I will try Carvin or Warmoth. I'm aprehensive about dealing with Ed Roman.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post

The recessed trem came about in the late '80s when Steve Vai wanted his Floyded guitars to have more of the feel of a strat with a vintage trem, with the strings closer to the body. With a non-recessed trem, the strings sit higher off the body, similar to a guitar w/ a tunamatic bridge, and the neck is angled back to accomodate the angle of the strings, like the neck of a Les Paul. The recessed trem brings the string height at the bridge down and eliminates the need to angle the neck back.
                Thanks! That cleared things up for me. Judging from the pics, is a non-recessed trem also the same as a floating, that people often talk about? Again, I apologize for asking about what seems to be common knowledge here, but you only know as much as you ask

Comment

They both float. The term "floating" just refers to a trem that is set up so that it can both dive and be pulled up. A non-floating trem is one that is blocked or set to rest on the body so it can only dive, like in the case of EVH's guitars with the D-Tuna.

Comment

I see! Thank you so much for answering this noobs questions Gotta love this forum! I'm just glad it's free

Comment

What dg said.You have to ask to learn.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                        My recommendation would be to buy from someone that takes phone orders rather than just online checkout, like Carvin or Ed Roman. Roman actually has decent prices & most likely has better things to do than fuck you over on a trem purchase, but Carvin will probably be nicer to deal with. Tell them exactly what you want & you'll be fine.
                        What's really strange is I bought two Floyds from Carvin around 1995... they were 37mm blocks. I put one in an old Yahama with recessed trem cavity, and it fit fine. The other I put in my old Kramer which was semi-recessed, it also fit fine.

All of Carvin's guitars that you can order now with trems are recessed, and I'm not sure if they use 32mm or 37mm at this moment. You'd have to call and find out for sure.
                        My new Charvel Star is non-recessed and it's definitely got a 37mm in there.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

There are 3 Schaller made OFR block sizes for 3 generally accepted applications

32mm for recessed mounting in strat /soloist style axe.
                          37mm for recessed mounting in Archtops or Non recessed on strats
                          42mm for non recessed mounting in archtops.

Almost all wholesalers I know of require you to specify block size when ordering, as should any decent guitar shop IMO. Of course some retailers just order 37mm in bulk and don´t offer a choice....

Comment

Working...
                          X