Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of questions on an Original Floyd Rose

Hello folks:

I plan to purchase a new original floyd rose but need to clarify a couple of things. First, do original floyd roses come with a standard base plate size? If not, what are the sizes available? I took out an original floyd rose from a guitar I have and the bse plate has the number 32 on it, so I take that the size of the base plate is 32 milimiters.

The second question I have has to do with the inserts. Do original floyd rose trems come with inserts and the screws to put inside them to hold the trem or do they only come with the screws, so you have to install the screws directly into the body?

Thanks in advance folks for your help.

Some OFR info can be found here...

http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/brid...ginal?itemID=1

I know its a warmoth site, but an OFR is an OFR.
    Guitars:
    '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
    '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
    '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
    Amp:
    VOX AD30VT

Comment

this question seems vaguely familiar....
      My metal band Lucian Scott
      Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
      Available Now!
      New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Originally posted by Econ View Post
        I took out an original floyd rose from a guitar I have and the bse plate has the number 32 on it, so I take that the size of the base plate is 32 milimiters.
        There's three different Floyd block sizes. 32mm is standard for recessed trems. 42mm is for non-recessed. And 37mm is for non-recessed or some that are semi-recessed. My new Charvel Star is non-recessed with a 37mm block.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Since I'm going with a non recessed trem cavity, I take it has to be the 37 or 32 mm block. I'll contact Denny (Slash) who will be building the custom body to see which one will work with the body he will build for me.

Comment

The baseplate should be the same on all OFRs as far as I know. For a non-recessed setup, you will need either the 37mm or the 42mm sustain block, like TJ mentioned.

I'm uncertain about the screws. I know that some OFRs for aftermarket fitting used to come with the old-style wood screws. My model 6 has had the holes for the bushings filled with bondo, and with Floyd wood screws installed there. I would've preferred bushings myself, but that's how it was when I bought it. In any case, I think you should be able to specify whether you want bushings or not, or at least buy them separately.

Comment

I bought an OFR sometime last year and IIRC it had both woodscrews and the inserts/posts in the box, so you could do it either way.

I got mine from StewMac IIRC. Or was that the Schaller?

I think VWall is still an OFR dealer.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Warmoth sells OFRs and Schallers for good prices.
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I think I'll give Warmoth a try.

Comment

Forum member/sponsor Jacksonite also has fair prices on OFR's.

Comment

Comment

i've also seen 34mm blocks aswell.
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                          i've also seen 34mm blocks aswell.
                          Original Schaller made ones stamped 34?

Or aftermarket?? I know that Ibanez has used somme off sizes on teh edges, and I think Performance made a 34 as well...

But to be honest 5mm is already such a small difference that smaller incrementations don´t make sense IMO

Comment

Originally posted by vwall guitars View Post
                            Nice bump Scott.
                            -Rick

Comment

i've been waiting a month for my '05 charvie to receive a chrome floyd. one quick call to warmoth took care of it! thanks for the referral. it's truly a great forum!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X