Stripping stain ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripping stain ?

Guys - if i have a guitar that was refinned, and they used a stain (pretty sure it is oil based), can that be stripped, or will it have to be sanded?
    I know it kind of works its way into the grain, so it may not just dissolve and peel off like a piant...
    Any shared tips or experiences would be greatly appreciated

Stain is just that... a stain. You cannot strip it off.
    Unlike paint that generally only covers the wood, stain goes into the wood.
    It becomes one with the wood. (I hear a Beavis and Butthead joke coming on.)
    The only way to remove it is to sand it down.
    Last edited by rjohnstone; 10-05-2006, 03:28 PM. Reason: Edited a typo before Ron got to it.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
      Stain is just that... a stain. You cannot strip it off.
      Unlike paint that generally only covers the wood, stain goes into the wood.
      It becomes one with the wood. (I here a Beavis and Butthead joke coming on.)
      The only way to remove it is to sand it down.
      That's what i thought - just wanted to make sure that was the way i have to go before I take sandpaper or steel wool to a guitar..

Comment

Hopefully it was a light coat and not deep into the grain.
        -Rick

Comment

i've stripped lots of old stained furniture over the years. it will take some work it's not that hard. get some stripper, a *good* mask, and some sandpaper and steel wool.

as for which stripper to buy, my general rule of thumb is the worse it smells and the sicker it makes you feel the better.
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I've tried bleaching it somewhat, so I didn't had to sandpaper it all off..
            didn't work

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
              i've stripped lots of old stained furniture over the years. it will take some work it's not that hard. get some stripper, a *good* mask, and some sandpaper and steel wool.

as for which stripper to buy, my general rule of thumb is the worse it smells and the sicker it makes you feel the better.
              Thanks Tim.. I'll give that a shot! I can get some Methylene Chloride (awesome job on MIL spec paints) but I'd be worried about raising the grain! lol
              Guess I'll just swing by Lowes or a hardware store...

Comment

I have refinished a lot of furniture but never a guitar. I like to use Zip strip remover, which is a paste. Keep in mind that any kind of stripper has moisture and will cause the wood grain to rise. After stripping, allow a few days to get the moisture out, then light sand (fine steel wool).

The technique I like to use is to get a bag of saw dust from the lumber yard, some paint stirring sticks, a small can of Zip strip, and heavy duty chemical resistant rubber gloves. Coat the wood with Zip strip using the paint stirring sticks and let set 30-60 minutes. The stripping agent puts out hellacious fumes, so do it with good ventilation and use the gloves (the crap is caustic and will cause irritation of your skin). When ready to strip and with gloves on, grab a handful of saw dust and use it to remove the stripper going with the grain of the wood. The saw dust works wonders for getting the stripper out of all crevices and it lightly buffs the wood as you go. Be extremely thorough in removing the stripping agent. Let it dry for 1-2 days, lightly sand with fine steel wool and you are ready for paint/stain/whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayniac View Post
                  Thanks Tim.. I'll give that a shot! I can get some Methylene Chloride (awesome job on MIL spec paints) but I'd be worried about raising the grain! lol
                  Guess I'll just swing by Lowes or a hardware store...
                  you are going to raise the grain with any liquid stripper. be prepared to wait a good long while before you paint it after you strip it unless you plug all the screw/ferrule holes first - unless you like crackle paint
                  I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Headstock will remain natural.. may just oil seal it .... gunstock, linseed, or other...
                    Thanks for the help guys...

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                      you are going to raise the grain with any liquid stripper. be prepared to wait a good long while before you paint it after you strip it unless you plug all the screw/ferrule holes first - unless you like crackle paint

That's the exact reason I don't like using chemical stripper on guitars. Sanding takes a little more time, but it's well worth it.
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                      X