Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Springs - Anything wrong with doing this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Springs - Anything wrong with doing this?

I was noticing that when I was doing muted sequence, that I would notice alot of noise coming from the springs behind the floyd. So, what I ended up doing was put a small peice of terrycloth between the springs and the body within the floyd route inorder to dampen the springs a little bit. I was a little worried about if this would cause any side effect.

Can anyone tell me if this is a bad thing?

-Nate
    Insert annoying equipment list here....

Not at all. Many players use this or simailar methods to dampen the sympathetic vibrations in the trem cavity or behind the nut.

I personally glue a piece of foam to the trem cover.. but not on all of my guitars, either....

Comment

I like using a thin piece of foam in there, too.

I've also heard of people putting pipe cleaners inside their trem springs. Maybe it was Steve Vai or someone who did that, can't remember.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I slid a thin piece of foam rubber between the body and springs on some of my Floyd guitars. Got rid of the problem and no nasty side effects.
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

When I put foam under the springs in my guitars, I experienced problems with the bridge returning to proper pitch. Plus, the foam would squeak a bit during whammy acrobatics.
          ...So I ripped the foam back out again. I have yet to try Newc's shoelace method though, but that is probably next.

Comment

I've used foam without a problem. My only concern about using the terry cloth would be if some of the threads get caught between the spring windings, it could change the tension & throw you out of tune. Haven't had a problem w/ foam ever getting caught. 'Bane, was the foam catching on yours?

Comment

I have an idea. Take the springs out a spray some can-foam in there and cut it down to the right fit.
              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Fill the trem with a big pile of sh................................aving cream.
                Scott
                Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

It was just a thought you fuk.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: Who knows it may work.
                  I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

i put some toast in mine. worked great.
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
                      Fill the trem with a big pile of sh................................aving cream.
                      Man, that was one of my old fav goofy songs. Thanks for the memory Scott!
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                        I have yet to try Newc's shoelace method though, but that is probably next.
                        When did I come up with this one?
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                          I've used foam without a problem. My only concern about using the terry cloth would be if some of the threads get caught between the spring windings, it could change the tension & throw you out of tune. Haven't had a problem w/ foam ever getting caught. 'Bane, was the foam catching on yours?
                          The problem with mine is that there's not much space between the springs and the body - so even if I'm using thin foam (I used the kind that comes wrapped around EMG pickups), it is compressed rather tightly.

Newc: Wasn't it you who came up with it? I seem to recall you writing about it somewhere, but I could be wrong (or I mispercieved the whole thing). Apologies in that case.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                            When I put foam under the springs in my guitars, I experienced problems with the bridge returning to proper pitch. Plus, the foam would squeak a bit during whammy acrobatics.
                            Actually I just did this on the War Angel. Put a piece of foam about 1" wide by 2 or 3" long and 1/2 thick or less (Duncan pickup box foam? Whatever it came from seems a bit "fluffy") under the springs and jam it towards the claw. The springs don't expand as much near the claw, so there's less chance of anything getting caught in the coils.

Of course my 3 springs are in a \|/ pattern, so that may have some bearing on how well it works.
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I use a handfull of cotton balls. Stuff them in there and if you can't close the cavity cover, just remove a few until it closes nice.
                              THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Working...
                              X