Nail polish remover on pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nail polish remover on pickups?

I have this RR that some kid painted the pickup tops with some purple/clear/sparkle nail polish. Im thinking that NPR will take it off but will it hurt the plastic bobbins? They are Jackson logoed open coils. Im sure the logo will come off too, but thats ok. The switch tip and tuners have it too but Im mainly interested in getting it off the pickups for now. Any ideas?

It will most likely melt/warp the plastic... I've tried it before with varying results.
    If you're fast, it might work. The trick is to not let it sit on there for more than a second or two.
    Have a wet cloth nearby to wipe off the NPR before it can eat into the plastic.
    -Rick

Comment

what about something like Goo-Gone, that may be safer than NPR.
      Guitars:
      '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
      '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
      '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
      Amp:
      VOX AD30VT

Comment

Originally posted by UFORocks View Post
        what about something like Goo-Gone, that may be safer than NPR.
        Goo Gone is great for removing adhesives.
        Won't dissolve nail polish.
        -Rick

Comment

Yeah, a wet cloth would be a good thing to have handy. I forgot about goo gone. I think the boss has some at work. Also, I dont want to remove them from the guitar either so I guess I should mask them off too.

Comment

What about paint thinner, turpentine or naptha?

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
              What about paint thinner, turpentine or naptha?
              Are you trying to clean it or dissolve it!
              NPR is on the weak side compared to the other stuff.

I'd stick with the NPR, maybe start off with a dilluted batch first.
              -Rick

Comment

Ok, sound like a plan. I only mention that other stuff because I have it. My dad used to make model airplanes and stuff and had cans of that stuff which I saved when he passed on.

Comment

Just take your time and use sparingly with a Q-tip.
                  Don't try and get it all off in one swipe.
                  You might even save the logo.
                  -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                    Just take your time and use sparingly with a Q-tip.
                    Don't try and get it all off in one swipe.
                    You might even save the logo.
                    That's gong to be a tough one to pull off brother....but possible?.....maybe.
                    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I'd stay away from the NPR, which contains acetone. That stuff can reek havoc on plastic. Oh, it'll take the nail polish off, but it will f#$* the plastic, in the meantime.
                      I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
                        I have this RR that some kid painted the pickup tops with some purple/clear/sparkle nail polish. Im thinking that NPR will take it off but will it hurt the plastic bobbins? They are Jackson logoed open coils. Im sure the logo will come off too, but thats ok. The switch tip and tuners have it too but Im mainly interested in getting it off the pickups for now. Any ideas?
                        I had the same thing with guitar I bought a while back. The dummy sparkled everthing including a Real Floyd. Nail polish remover worked real well on the metal. It took hours of work. I have a nice hum (Duncan DC1) that has a nice layer of whatever and glitter. But, I'm afraid to use remover. I tried scraping it off and that didn't work. I will be interested knowing how you finally got it off.
                        Last edited by fett; 10-02-2006, 08:52 PM.
                        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Ok, progress pic. The neck pickup is just about done. It was all mucked up like the bridge lower bobbin. I used non acetone NPR. It doesnt smell too bad and it seems to work ok. 100% improvement I think. Lots of elbow grease but its coming along well. There are string marks on the neck pup but I guess its better than what it was. After all the plastic "cures" again I will probably hit it with some kind of armor all type stuff.

Comment

Glad to see you are taking baby steps, and it's paying off. Slow and steady.
                            I'm not Ron!

Comment

Glad it's working out for ya...
                              Just like I said... nice and slow... don't rush it.
                              -Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X