Angled vs. Flat Pickup Rings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angled vs. Flat Pickup Rings?

Any reason for one vs. the other? Does it affect tone at all?

I believe it could change the tone a little bit - at least with pickups that have assymetric coils.

I think the angled pup rings were designed for guitars with a bit of neck angle (like a Les Paul), to keep the pickup surface level with the strings.

...But what really bugs me is that EVERY guitar I've owned have come with "wrong" pup rings (IMO) from the factory! My guitars with recessed trems have all had angled pup rings, and all my guitars with non-recessed trems or TOMs, have had flat pup rings!

Comment

It's purely cosmetic. With a stop tail, the neck, and string angle are pretty severe so the angled rings keep everything looking somewhat "symmetrical". I've personally never seen a recessed trem axe with angled rings, but I suppose anything is possible.
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

On my Jackson DX1 the bridge pickup has an angled ring. WTF were they thinking. The side of the pickup almost hits the strings

Comment

My DX1 had a flat ring, but my buddies long departed DRX I remember having angled rings. All the other Jacksons we´ve had between the two of us, including my non-recessed ´88 Soloist, has had flat rings.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002 View Post
            I've personally never seen a recessed trem axe with angled rings, but I suppose anything is possible.
            I got my Jackson Stars that way.

Comment

i actually perfer the sound of the back of the pickup being closer to to the strings than the front of it.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
              X