Help needed...Wilkinson VS100 tremolo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed...Wilkinson VS100 tremolo

I just picked up my first guitar with a tremolo (my others all have fixed bridges). It is a '97 Jackson JRS-2 (import, slab body, single pickup, maple/maple neck) with a Wilkinson VS100 tremolo. I strung it up with new strings last night (.009 to .042) and it is a bastard to tune or stay in tune. There are just 2 tremolo springs back in the pocket and no plate covering the hole (some quick research on the next shows a new setup comes with 4 springs). What the heck am I doing wrong?

It needs more than two springs to be anywhere near stable...at least three. Locking tuners will help a bit..... Better yet, upgrade it to a double locking trem or sell it and buy an axe that already has one. I just sold my SDII because I hate V-Trem axes. .
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

The VS100 is a killer bridge. Add some springs and you´ll be fine. It´s very sensitive and dynamic, but won´t do the heavy-duty stuff a Floyd does. I´ve had a couple of high-end Yamahas with the VS100´s, and they excel for the smooth work.

Comment

I thought the JRS-2 had a VS50?

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy View Post
          I thought the JRS-2 had a VS50?
          You are correct, sir. I have the JRS-1 (VS100 bridge) and not the JRS-2 model (VS50 bridge).

Comment

Actually, the Wilkinson is more stable than a vintage trem in its design. And you can get Floyd type dive bombs. But the secret to the success isn't always the tremolo, it's also the nut and tuning machines. I have a Carvin with a phenolic nut and Sperzels and the Wilky NEVER goes out of tune even with Floyd like antics.
            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
            Gotta get away from here.
            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I also have Wilks which do not go out of tune.. very stable trem, I personally prefer them over a floyd and V trems.

So you have a JRS-1 with a maple/maple neck that has no dots? I'd love to see a pic.. JRS series with those necks are not seen very often.

I also have a JRS-1 and a JRS-2 but both are rosewood

Comment

I also have Wilks which do not go out of tune.. very stable trem, I personally prefer them over a floyd and V trems.

So you have a JRS-1 with a maple/maple neck that has no dots? I'd love to see a pic.. JRS series with those necks are not seen very often.

I also have a JRS-1 and a JRS-2 but both are rosewood
                I just picked up this axe in a pawn shop recently...could not pass up the deal. Did a little research to find out it is 1997 Jackson JRS-1 with reverse headstock, maple neck/maple fingerboard, single Duncan Pearly Gates pickup with volume control, Wilkinson VS100 tremolo. From what I have scratched up this model was only made 1 year, is an import model, and was designed after the Model 1 of the 80's. Also, the day I picked up this guitar, they also had a sweet, red 80's Charvel Bass (Model 3B). I had to go back the next day and pick it up also. I am not into basses, but...it's a Charvel and it was only $125 and is in super shape. How can you go wrong with that?

Present condition is VG to VG+, with very little fret wear and no blemishes. The trem arm is broken off, but will be an easy fix. It does not look like the trem body was damaged when the arm was broken off. I have never setup a tremolo, and have found the low E string keeps dropping on me after tweaking the Wilkinson, so a friend is going to set it up for me tonight.

Other than that, replace the tremolo cavity and trussrod covers, and replace the trem arm and it should be ready for action. It has the best feel of any of my guitars.

Here are links to pics...
                http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...o/IM000520.jpg
                http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...o/IM000523.jpg
                http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...o/IM000521.jpg
                http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...o/IM000518.jpg
                http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...o/IM000761.jpg
                Last edited by technogumbo; 10-04-2006, 10:31 AM.

Comment

That is a JRS-2. A JRS-1 is not an import. Nice guitar, I had a red one with rosewood board. You can get the trem arm off ebay for cheap, thats what I did. And, yeah, you need at least 3 springs. I think the pickup should be an armstrong humbucker.

Comment

Thanks for the pics. Its a trans white JRS-2. The body is Ash, very nice with the trans finish. Pro series are MIJ. They should have the VS50.

The difference being a JRS-1 is made in USA, which is also stated on the headstock. I can't recall what the stock p/u was for them...pretty sure it was not a pearly gates tho. Tekky would know.

Still... maple necked imports of this model don't show up very often, you made a good choice in snagging it as people usually pay more for the maple necked models when and if you turn it around. Nice axe!

Comment

dang.. UPS came and Carbuff beat me to it ...but ya, stock p/u is an Armstrong, (thanks Carbuff) so you got a slight mod.

Oh..on the angled headstock.. the low E will likely continue to be a pain. The low E on my JRS-2 would never stay in tune....but, I did not go to extremes to make it work with graphite and all. I had a spare Jackson neck laying about from a Stealth series with a floyded nut and one day I decided to swap them out... all my trem problems went away.
                      Last edited by charvelguy; 10-05-2006, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the pics. Its a trans white JRS-2. The body is Ash, very nice with the trans finish. Pro series are MIJ. They should have the VS50.

The difference being a JRS-1 is made in USA, which is also stated on the headstock. I can't recall what the stock p/u was for them...pretty sure it was not a pearly gates tho. Tekky would know.

Still... maple necked imports of this model don't show up very often, you made a good choice in snagging it as people usually pay more for the maple necked models when and if you turn it around. Nice axe!
                        Thanks for the information. I referred back to the 1997 Catalog Scans and mine is sure enough a JRS-2. JRS-1 is USA made with VS100 trem and Duncan Pearly Gates pickup, whereas JRS-2 is import with VS50 trem and Armstrong JA214 pickup.

Comment

Working...
                        X