Is this fatal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this fatal?

Got a hairline crack. Just at the base of the headstock. Appears to be just in the finish and the binding... Can't really see it in the pics, cuz of the flash... Could be my imagination, but every time I see it, it looks like it's growing... Is it gonna live?

Hardware: all black, all the time.

Last edited by texasfury; 09-23-2008, 03:51 PM.
    Just a guitar player...

Comment

clear as day for me. These things aren't uncommon.... and they can grow a bit. Probably not a structural issue.

Comment

I can't get a good one... without flash it's too dark to even see. I'll have to try in daylight... Try tomorrow...

Thanks...

Comment

Basically, the crack you can see in the finish is also in the binding... Just was worried about it getting 'deeper' and longer... I'll try to get better pics up tomorrow...

Comment

I see that crack perfectly..the last pic clearly shows the crack through the binding.

Yeah it will probably get a little longer but shouldn't get too "deep" unless you abuse it. This is mostly a cosmetic issue, so don't sweat it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
              I see that crack perfectly..the last pic clearly shows the crack through the binding.

Yeah it will probably get a little longer but shouldn't get too "deep" unless you abuse it. This is mostly a cosmetic issue, so don't sweat it.
              Like Bert said, it looks to be in the finish only. I wouldn't sweat it at this point.
              Scott
              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Are you sure it's even through to the binding? What I'm seeing is a crack in the clear coat where it's separating a bit from the color coat underneath. Are the sides of your binding clear-coated too? I assume they are...

Comment

Although it's not a structural issue, it is a sign that there's at least some sort of stress going on there, which would probably be from the case. Pointyheads usually rest in cases with their tips pressing against the back of the case, and once you close the lid, pressure is applied to the tip.

Try padding the area under the neck a bit more to get the tip off the back of the case.

If you've got one of those allen wrench holders on the back with wrenches actually in it, either remove the wrenches or the whole thing.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

It's

If you look close, you can actually see a line where you can tell the neck binding from the headstock binding... Should I not keep it in the case? It's a custom shop, I keep it in there for protection...

Comment

Man, I hate to break the bad news to ya, but I'm pretty sure that damage is pretty much non-repairable. Your best bet at this point is to sell it quckly and cheaply to someone like me who can at least use it for parts. Don't wait until it's just all just crumbling apart in small pieces....sell it now while you can still get a few bucks out of it. Just email me, and I can save you a lot of grief.
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Is that the 7 string soloist??

Comment

Originally posted by Wayniac View Post
                          No, it's a six string with an extra string and nut lock bolt.
                          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayniac View Post
                            Yup... Not sure how it happened... Started noticing it shortly after I got it back... I'm very bummed... It hasn't affected anything yet, but I can see it when I play, and it sticks out (to me) like a sore thumb... Suppose it could have started in shipping??? Don't know...But I don't like it...

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002 View Post
                              Man, I hate to break the bad news to ya, but I'm pretty sure that damage is pretty much non-repairable. Your best bet at this point is to sell it quckly and cheaply to someone like me who can at least use it for parts. Don't wait until it's just all just crumbling apart in small pieces....sell it now while you can still get a few bucks out of it. Just email me, and I can save you a lot of grief.
                              Well hey, that's generous!! Why don't we avoid all the hassle with money and such, and I'll just send it to ya!! What's yer address??

Comment

Working...
                              X