Neck shims for Floyd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck shims for Floyd?

What do you guys typically use to get that neck angle for a neck pocket rout that is not originally made for a Floyd, when adding a floyd?
    I have seen small pieces of wood, cardstock, PC board type material..
    Without it, the action at the higher frets is too high.
    What is best/easiest and why?
    Thanks

Old credit cards work.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Printer paper or business cards. Cardstock is great because they get a lot of angle in one piece, and paper is thin enough that you can get "just a hair more".

Never seen anyone use PC board - that stuff's thick enough that you may as well get a new neck or recut the pocket

Some people will say wood improves the tone since it's wood (but only if you use a tonewood shim).

Some will say material density will affect the tone - plastic wil be bright/brittle, paper will be muffly because it's porous, etc.

If you do use an old credit card, don't use the side with the numbers, unless you want a very unique heel stamp
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I used my old Calif drivers license for a shim. Now, half my face is a part of the guitar.:ROTF: :ROTF:
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

go to ace hardware, they sell these little sheets of brass in varying thicknesses in a multipack - they're about 4x6 - they work great.
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

+1
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Or save a buck and just dig out an old business card that's taking up room in your wallet, or grab a sheet of printer paper out of the printer you no doubt have but rarely ever use, there's no tonal difference, although you might not be considered a "professional" for doing that
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I was thinking a business card would be the trick, just wanted to see what else people use... didn't know ACE sold those brass pieces....
                Thanks guys !

Comment

Sound like I'm the only one that uses the Floyd shims that Stewmac sells.
                  We must!
                  We must!
                  We must increase the bust!
                  The bigger the better!
                  The tighter the sweater!
                  The boys are counting on us!

Comment

I used to use cardstock (i.e. business cards) but I've since switched to folded-over tinfoil strips if I need a shim.
                    ------------------------------------------------
                    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Soloist1
                      Nope, I use them too, except I buy them from allparts. They are the right size, come in varying thicknesses, and are pre punched for the mounting screws. They make for a much more "pro" job in my opinion.
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Soloist1
                        what shims are you talking about? the only floyd rose shims i've seen are for the string nut. i think we are talking about the neck pocket in this thread - i could be wrong though
                        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I too use business cards and just cut it to fit...

I do use the brass floyd shims at the nut but never knew they had em for neck pockets
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim
                            what shims are you talking about? the only floyd rose shims i've seen are for the string nut. i think we are talking about the neck pocket in this thread - i could be wrong though
                            Sure kick a man when he's down Tim. Ok so I have to get back to my hooked on phonics again.
                            We must!
                            We must!
                            We must increase the bust!
                            The bigger the better!
                            The tighter the sweater!
                            The boys are counting on us!

Comment

I use the business card trick, too. Now, when some schlub hands me his card, I actually have a USE for it!
                              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                              X