Building a jaguar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a jaguar

Okay then, I love the way Jaguars/Jazzmasters look and I love the vibrato system they have but I hate all the switches and knobs, it's a real hassle to use those guitars live.

So I figured to make a guitar that has all the cool things of a Fender Offset and which lacks the things I don't like about them. And here's the freshly built Pine body.

As you guys can see, I went for the rear rout so I can have all the space for some cool custom finish. I'm considering metallic blue with white racing stripes or Candy apple Red with hod rod flames.

Oh how I love my job.

cool idea, man! Probably the same thinking that lead to Jackson making teles & firebirds. You planning on providing progress pics as you go?

Shame you had to cut up an Ikea side table to do it though
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Pine body?
      METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Weren't some of the early jags made from pine, or just strats? I probably would have used a different wood, but that's cool. You're going to play hell getting a finish to look good on that though. I'm not cutting down your work man, it'll be a cool looking axe.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

i know there were pine teles. a lot of guys over on the tele board have made pine teles as well - they swear by them. supposedly they're usually very light and resonant.

finishing them is pretty tough if you want a modern shiny auto type finish. most of those guys do an oil or nitro finish where you expect to see and feel the grain.
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I caught myself on Warmoth's site just the other day dreaming up a dual hum string-through rear-routed Jag. My first guitar was/is an old Holiday (Harmony) with a Jag-style body that more and more is becoming my favorite.
            |My CSG gallery|
            (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

i know there were pine teles
              Oh yeah, it was teles. I would imagine the tone would be similar to basswood, considering they both seem to be of a comparable density and weight.

Comment

Really cool. I built a Jaguar several years ago from Warmoth and Fender parts. It's dead on, like a 1962 model. The Duncan custom Jag pickups really helped the guitar to be heard. I love the shape of the Jag. Very comfortable.
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Aren't the knots going to pose a problem? They shrink and bleed. Trust me I know.
                  I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by fett
                    Aren't the knots going to pose a problem? They shrink and bleed. Trust me I know.
                    you mean your balloon knot? :ROTF:
                    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Not nuts. Knots. :ROTF: Seriously, those knots will dry out and pop out. If I were me, I would take the knots out and use pine plugs.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim
                        i know there were pine teles. a lot of guys over on the tele board have made pine teles as well - they swear by them. supposedly they're usually very light and resonant.

finishing them is pretty tough if you want a modern shiny auto type finish. most of those guys do an oil or nitro finish where you expect to see and feel the grain.
                        I have had request for bodies made of pine before... but I haven't used pine for a body. And yes he was wanting a tele shaped body.

Comment

The wood comes from a fourty year old Bar table so I have all right to assume that it has dried properly.

Comment

That's different. I didn't mean to imply anything. But the roof was my ceiling in my 50 year old house. And it was pine with knots. And they bled through Kilz-all and layers of paint. Just my thoughts.

Comment

Fett is right. Pine may be OK for a guitar, but where there's knots, there's a larger concentration of sap. Sap never dries out completely....it just continues to change shape year after year after year after year.......well you get the point. I mean yeah, after 200 years, a slab of knotty pine may be considered somewhat "stable", but my bet is those "knots" will now be "knot holes". If I ever did build a guitar body out of Pine, I'd make sure it didn't have any knots or knot holes in it. Knot holes are for furniture, not guitars Mkay?
                              Last edited by mm2002; 09-21-2006, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X