What p'up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What p'up?

I have a Charvel Model 3 that's getting some mods, and i'm getting a new humbucker to put in it. I play through an Engl Screamer combo, and i mostly play heavy rock/metal (VH, Ozzy, Panter, Skid Row, etc). I was thinking about either the Duncan Distortion, or the LiveWire Metal? What do you guys recommend?

The SD distortion is a great choice. Stay away from the livewire. its an active pickup and you wouldn't be able to have the 2 single coils hooked up. Also the livewire is only good for riffs any scales sound horrible. Just my .02.
    Oh, pictures please.

Comment

If you mean livewire H-Met, I had it installed but I took it out after a while.
      Too much gain and was a bit nasal.
      Distortion, I haven't tried but has got to be better,

Comment

I like the Distortion, but I love the Custom (TB-5). It would sound great in a Model 3, imo.

Comment

Thanks for the tips! I've filled in the two SC-holes! It's primed, and ready for painting... I think I'll go for silver metallic w/ black hardware. I'm also considering a warmoth neck... How's the custom custom compared to the Distortion?

Comment

The descriptions on the Duncan site are pretty accurate.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...nDistortion153

Be aware that the Custom, The Custom Custom, and the Custom 5 are all different pickups. The Custom has a ceramic magnet (as do the Distortion and the JB), the Custom Custom has an Alnico II magnet, and the Custom 5 has an Alnico 5 magnet. The Distortion and the Custom have a punchier, tighter bottom end, and more pronounced harmonics than the pups using the Alnico magnets, imo. More of a "modern" sound, I guess. The Custom Custom & the Custom 5 are both a little more PAFish, but with a bit more output. They can get most of the tones you were talking about in your first post, but for Dimebag I'd definitely lean more toward pickups with ceramic magnets.

Comment

Working...
            X