Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few questions for EMG users and experts hopefully?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions for EMG users and experts hopefully?

I decided to use a 85 in the bridge over a 81,tone zone,invader and a few other fat sounding passives out there since it had the best tone/definition and clarity to me.
    now i put the 81 in the neck and it is OK but not quite what i need
    I want a yngwie type type tone for my neck leads in other words
    super clarity for arps and 64th note runs with NO BLUR like the 81 or 85 has inb the neck
    i was thinking 60 or 60A? the latter being a alnico version for a touch more warmth and maybe closer to a pup like the dimarzio hs3?
    they also make a H model which is a S single coil pup in a humbucker housing?

also with a EMG's with both the 81 and 85 i hear more presence than with the passives i tried? is this a EMG character?
    there seems to be a good amount of sizzle over most passives?

and this last thing i would like to ask is if anyone knows ANYTHING about the 85 or 81's insides?
    like i heard these are wound to a pretty low resistance(10K?) then boosted via a preamp internally? is that the same principle as using a 10K pup and using i booster to get more output?
    why is it that when NOT using a battery they do not act like a unboosted 10K pup? the screamin demon and dimarzio fred are 10K pups without boosters?
    If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

If you're after an Yngwie tone, a humbucker isn't going to do it. The guy uses single coils pretty much exclusively, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam
      If you're after an Yngwie tone, a humbucker isn't going to do it. The guy uses single coils pretty much exclusively, I think.

yes i know but the one emg i listed(H ) is a single coil?

they are disguised under a humbucker housing
      Last edited by savage; 09-19-2006, 10:50 AM.
      If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Originally posted by Adam

The HS3 and YJM are stacked humbuckers.

Comment

Originally posted by RR_YJMFAN
          The HS3 and YJM are stacked humbuckers.
          yes and that seperates them froma tradtional single
          that is why i think i can get damn close with one of those two(H or a HA) emgs since those two are hum canceling singles as well
          Last edited by savage; 09-19-2006, 10:50 AM.

Comment

EMG's do have more presence than standard passive pups.
            personnaly i love the 81 in the neck. if you don't want the Kirk Hammet lead tone from it, turn your mids up!
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Try an 89. it's an 85, with a coil tap.

Comment

Originally posted by savage
                yes i know but the one emg i listed(H ) is a single coil?

they are disguised under a humbucker housing
                Yes. The H is indeed a single coil in a humbucker housing. Kirk Hammett's black Rhoads has an 81 in the bridge with an H in the neck. All his other humbucker-equipped guitars are 81/81.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

OP: E-mail EMG and ask. I hear they are very helpful with inquiries like these.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane
                    OP: E-mail EMG and ask. I hear they are very helpful with inquiries like these.
                    i did still waiting

Comment

i did still waiting
                      Give it a few days , they should response. You may want to read yngwie's sight to see how he sets up his eq on his amp. If is his use of the hs3 that you like. if I remember right he drops the lows, which will make you fat sounding 85 sound like shit. The 89 in the neck should get you the best of both worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by savage View Post
                        I decided to use a 85 in the bridge over a 81,tone zone,invader and a few other fat sounding passives out there since it had the best tone/definition and clarity to me.
                        now i put the 81 in the neck and it is OK but not quite what i need
                        I want a yngwie type type tone for my neck leads in other words
                        super clarity for arps and 64th note runs with NO BLUR like the 81 or 85 has inb the neck
                        i was thinking 60 or 60A? the latter being a alnico version for a touch more warmth and maybe closer to a pup like the dimarzio hs3?
                        they also make a H model which is a S single coil pup in a humbucker housing?

also with a EMG's with both the 81 and 85 i hear more presence than with the passives i tried? is this a EMG character?
                        there seems to be a good amount of sizzle over most passives?

and this last thing i would like to ask is if anyone knows ANYTHING about the 85 or 81's insides?
                        like i heard these are wound to a pretty low resistance(10K?) then boosted via a preamp internally? is that the same principle as using a 10K pup and using i booster to get more output?
                        why is it that when NOT using a battery they do not act like a unboosted 10K pup? the screamin demon and dimarzio fred are 10K pups without boosters?
                        the EMGs dont work without a battery because they are designed to only work with a battery...the preamp in the pickup is what actually sends the signal out, and without power it wont do anything. this is unlike other "active" pickups because they use a passive pickup and boost it with a preamp in the control cavity, so even if you lose battery power they will still work as passives...not so with EMGs. but yes, it is a very low strength pickup with a preamp to boost the signal. this way you dont loose sustain from magnetic pull, or get some weird harmonics from the magnets pulling the strings. more even frequency response as well.

check out the EMG site...they have explanations of it all and yes the EMGs do have a good amount of sizzle...thats ok, because i like that. Passives are usually just way too warm for me. the only one that has done anything for me really is the Duncan Distortion, but i still prefer EMGs.
                        My metal band Lucian Scott
                        Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                        Available Now!
                        New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Try the 89 the best pickup they make.

Comment

how do you DELETE these threads?
                            I have switched to alll passives now and only have a 85 in the alexi ESP
                            I found that for me the passives are best overall
                            i have a much wider selection of models both neck and bridge
                            the EMGs had thier advantages but for me the DISSADVANTAGES far outweighed the advantages

Comment

Just curious, what would the "disadvantages" of using EMG's be?
                              Tone is more or less subjective, and can be compensated for to some degree, and batteries aren't that hard to replace.

Comment

Working...
                              X