X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strings for 7 string suggestions?

Hey everyone,

Yeah its kinda a silly question but..

I just got my very 1st 7 string and probably should get a fresh set of strings on it. Any suggestions on strings you like?
    I have a Mahogany guitar, neck thru with a trem and standard tuning.

hell I gotta get some sets for some of my 6 strings too so any string input is cool. I usually just buy Daddario Xl's but have been hearing that Boomers are good. So maybe its time to try a new brand and see what happens.

I've been using boomers for 15 years, and I like them enough to keep buying them so.....
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

D'Addario XL are my favorite.

Comment

the d'addario's are the only brand I can get over here as a sevenstring set...

Comment

I use a D'addario 10-56 set for standard E - B tuning. I prefer blue steels for 6 strings but likewise, have not come across a Dean Markley 7 set.
          I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

thanks for the info!!

That's right, I just got my DR7, my first 7..plays great!

I think there's 10's on there..I gotta ask Chris!!
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'm using Ernie Ball Slinky 7s on mine... 10-56.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Bill: Does Loomis have anything to do with that new guitar purchase? If this new guitar is the same scale length as your other favorite guitar(s), then you might want to just get a pack of 6 strings like you usually buy. That way those strings will have a familar feel. On to the 7th string.....it is the oddball, so buy several different gauges to play with. I tune to standard 7-string tuning and was using a 52 for quite some time, but I've tinkered with other gauges and I'm currently liking a 60 for the low B. Juststrings.com is a cool site to buy different separate string gauges. Also, when you buy strings in a 6+1 fashion, there are a lot more options for brands/models/gauges of strings.....you're not restricted to just specifically labeled "7-string" packs.
                Last edited by Chad; 09-26-2006, 06:18 PM.

Comment

yup, Ernie Ball Slinky's are my favorites.
                  the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

"Bill: Does Loomis have anything to do with that new guitar purchase?"

Guilty as charged!..yep!
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I find these to be best for me:GHS, GB7M 010 013 017 DY26 DY36 DY46 DY60. 0,56 B is too thin, 0,60 is perfect

Comment

well the hellraiser I just got has got boomers on it 10-56 and they feel perfect. My ESP had a shorter scale so I used 9-56 on it.
                        I tend to break boomers to easy though so on my 6's I use D'Addarios.
                        I need to experiment on the 7. that ernie ball set 10-56 looks interesting
                        I haven't used ernie ball strings since 1980
                        It definitely differs with each guitar, you need to experiment with the low B string gauge
                        tosee what feels best on your guitar.

Bill how are you digging that 7?
                        If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Working...
                        X