Cleaning a black Original Floyd Rose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning a black Original Floyd Rose

Any suggestions as to what to use for cleaning light surface rust and grime off a black OFR?
    Good deals with:
    Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

PAM + cotton terry cloth = win

-a

Comment

I used first a little contact cleaner spray over the whole surface, I used an old toothbrush and scrubbed off any gunk I could see. Then I sprayed a little wd40 also and scrubbed again. I wiped it off then used my air compressor to blow out any excess solution from the areas I couldn't get to with the cloth.

OH....BTW....Do this with the bridge removed from the guitar. It worked pretty good for me.
      Guitars:
      Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
      1988 Model 2,
      Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
      RR3
      Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
      1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
      2005 SG Special

Comment

You can give them a parts bath in naptha. Disassemble the trem, and drop the associated parts into a jar, with naptha, and let them soak. Works nicely.
        I'm not Ron!

Comment

I used rubbing alcohol to clean a chrome floyd and it worked great...so I then tried it on my black schaller floyd and it took some of the black off, down to the base metal, DUH! Wouldn't recomend the alcohol. I'd also be sure to get any WD40 off the base plate because if any remains there or on the bottom of the saddles they could slip forward on a trem pull up. I know this because it happened to me. Couldn't figure out why the saddles kept slipping forward.....DUH! Karl

Comment

I use a gun related item its a cleaner, lube and protector.Just put a little on the parts and scrub lightly with a tooth brush rub off the excess and reassemble.Takes off the rust and leaves a protective moisture barrier.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

+1 on the gun oil / cleaner. WD40 also works very well.
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

i know a guy that boils his floyds in motor oil on the stove. ruins a pot, but cleans it thoroughly.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by memphiskat
                  I'd also be sure to get any WD40 off the base plate because if any remains there or on the bottom of the saddles they could slip forward on a trem pull up. I know this because it happened to me. Couldn't figure out why the saddles kept slipping forward.....DUH! Karl
                  The saddles kept slipping forward because you didn't have them locked down tight enough.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
                    The saddles kept slipping forward because you didn't have them locked down tight enough.
                    ahhhhhhh.......yea,...... didn't help that it's an older schaller so if you tighten just a hair too much elstrippo, done that one too

Comment

Oh, yeah, those old Schallers are known for stripping, too!
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

What would you recommend to touch up spots where the black paint is chipped or worn away?

Comment

Black model paint? Nail polish? Magic Marker? Boogers? In that order
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
                            Black model paint? Nail polish? Magic Marker? Boogers? In that order
                            Boogers aren't dark enough unless you've been sniffing the black paint.
                            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan
                              What would you recommend to touch up spots where the black paint is chipped or worn away?

Don't try using a black Sharpie, did that one too, it wont match and kind of looks purpleish and won't come off........man I'm starting to look like a real dumb ass in this thread.....well maybe I'll save someone from making the same dumb ass mistake

Comment

Working...
                              X