Making a JT-580 or 580 LP flutter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a JT-580 or 580 LP flutter?

hey...recently i checked out a newer RR3 that had the 580 LP trem...when i flicked the trem it fluttered A LOT. now, my 580 on my Dinky and the LP on my RR3 can flutter, but not as much as that stock RR3 i checked out. i want them to flutter better...how can i change the setup to make this possible? all i have changed on my guitars are the string gauges (11-54 in B standard for the RR3, 9-48 on the Dinky in standard). i know the RR3 in the store was a 2006, and mines a 2005, but they cant be that different, other than the black vs. chrome can they? i just dont see how that 580 LP in the store fluttered so much better than mine LOL

help a newbie to Floyds out!
    My metal band Lucian Scott
    Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
    Available Now!
    New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Higher tension = less flutter. Lighter strings and less springs could be the answer.

-a

Comment

see, thats the problem...i would think that too, but my 11-54's in B have less tension than the 9's that were on that stock RR3! LOL i thought about redoing the configuration to get less spring tension so i could screw in the claw and get the springs open more...i dunno...anyone else?
      Available Now!
      New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Comment

The 2006 RR3 also has a trem of hardened steel, whereas the earlier ones didn't. I don't have the slightest if that has any bearing on the degree of flutter though.

Comment

Originally posted by soc_monki
          i thought about redoing the configuration to get less spring tension so i could screw in the claw and get the springs open more...i dunno...anyone else?
          Take a spring out, that'll solve your problem. I used to use four or five springs in my Floyds, because I preferred the stiffer feel of the trem and less flutter.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
            Take a spring out, that'll solve your problem. I used to use four or five springs in my Floyds, because I preferred the stiffer feel of the trem and less flutter.
            cool...i only have 3 right now, but the way i have it set ive got them angled for more pull...ill try setting them up straight first then remove a spring and see what happens...thanks
            Available Now!
            New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane
              The 2006 RR3 also has a trem of hardened steel, whereas the earlier ones didn't. I don't have the slightest if that has any bearing on the degree of flutter though.

i thought that might have something to do with it as well...my Dinky is a 2006 model with the hardened steel baseplate, but it acts just like the 580LP on my RR3...so it must be a spring issue i hope!
              Available Now!
              New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Comment

I remember reading up on this, a while back. If memory serves me, springs have more resistance and are stiffer, when closer to being fully retracted, and less when opened more. So, with that said, removing one, and taking the remaining 2 open more, SHOULD help in the situation. Breaking in the springs, I know, will help, too. I personally use 9s, and run 2 springs.
                I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
                  I remember reading up on this, a while back. If memory serves me, springs have more resistance and are stiffer, when closer to being fully retracted, and less when opened more. So, with that said, removing one, and taking the remaining 2 open more, SHOULD help in the situation. Breaking in the springs, I know, will help, too. I personally use 9s, and run 2 springs.
                  yea...i try to run the springs as open as possible...on my RR3 i had 2 springs now, running 11-54 strings in B tuning (for the metal stuff LOL) and it does flutter a bit better. the Dinky i still havent messed with, but i will when i change the strings soon, and im going to try and set it up for more flutter (i use 9-48 in standard).

i played a JS30 Dinky today...it fluttered pretty well, but couldnt really do it very well because the trem arm wasnt designed for it and it always gets too loose and rattled LOL
                  Available Now!
                  New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Comment

Working...
                  X