Mahogany Explorer pickup ques: 500T replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mahogany Explorer pickup ques: 500T replacement

I have a 76 RI Explorer and think the 500T has good output (HOT!), but it sounds muddy/sloppy/bassy. It has a 496R in the neck which wounds ok.

Any Idea what pickup would work well in the bridge to get a little crispness? I like the hot output on it. I am considering a Gibson Iommi - only because I had one before and it may balance well with the 496R.

I think I'd rather go another direction and so am thinking of swapping for a pair of Alnico II Pros - will have less output, but I really liked the sound of the LP Studio that had those- especially the neck position. - of course the LP is a slightly different animal. Would that sound pretty tight? Too wimpy?

My other guitars have either Duncan customs in the bridge (alder or basswood strats) or a RR Custom w/ a '59 which sounds OK. Or straight up singles.

I just use a Boss SD-1 into a 50 watt tube marshall with a GE-7 EQ, so it's a pretty straight forward Rock sound. I prefer the "wolf hoffman/Accept", Priest, and Slash sound with a little SRV for good measure, if that helps you figure my preferences.
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

That's strange, man, I don't have any problems with muddiness from my 500T, although my Jackson is alder and maple, so perhaps my tonewood brightens the pickup more than your mahogany. Do you have a preference for brand, be it gibson, duncan, or dimarzio? And it sounds like you still want a passive pickup so you can drop it in the bridge slot to pair with your 496, am I right?

Cheers,
    Nick

Comment

Try an rsguitarworks pot upgrade kit.The stock Gibson electronics are not very good to be honest.The rs kit WILL open your guitar up tone wise.More useable vol and tone control go to rsguitarworks.net and check them out they know how to make a Gibson sound like it should.
      I used to tech there and worked on some big name artist guitars.Part of my job was to build and install these kits and I can tell you its the best money spent on a Gibson.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I have 2 Gibson Explorers. The 1976 has Dimarzio Super D in the lead spot and a paf pro in the neck. The 76 Reissue has JB/59 combo. I like the reissues sound better.

I know there are a lot of JB haters. You either like 'em or hate 'em. In my Explorer, the JB sounds tight with a nice chugging bottom end. Plenty of power.
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

The reissues are nice I've had several.The necks are big as a ball bat.JBs work well in an all mahogony body IMO.If I can just get people to realize the electronics that Gibson uses chokes the pickups and doesnt let them open up.A 498 and 500t are a pretty hot set up to begin with and sound shrill to me.
          I think WCR hercs or crossroads pickups would sound great in a reissue explorer

Comment

If you are getting a muddy sound from the 500T, I would guess that you are using too much gain for the tones that you say you like.
            If thats not the case, I don't think you can go wrong with a Duncan Custom or Dimarzio Tone Zone in that guitar.
            A JB may work...they are hit or miss for me. I typically don't like them, but I have one in my LP Custom that sounds great.

Comment

I had an 83 Gibson Explorer and now have a 91 and they both sounded muddy, lifeless and not much harmonics but, alot of output. Got them both new so they had stock pups but, not sure the model #. They only had serial #'s on them.
              X2n Dimarzio now in my 91 sounds killer with series, parallel and single coil modes. Great harmonics, drive and clarity

Comment

Maxboost try an rs kit and you will fall in love with your X2N all over again.You will have a more open single coil tones and natural harmonics.I installed a kit for a guy in his 1 hum Kramer baretta with an X2N and coil tapped it.He about shit when he tried it out.This guy is so anal when it comes to tone I was suprised.I knew it sounded killer but he was his usual sceptical self.

Comment

Bare Knuckle Miracle Man and disconnect the tone knob......
                  "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Oops just seen the previous post............You could have a defective tone pot, try cutting at the solder joint - you can always re-solder. Check after being dis-connected if it really brightens up - then it could be the tone pot or the capacitor. 500T gibsons are screamers.

In all mahogany Gibsons I like the Dimarzio Super 2 distortion, bright & powerful.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guita...uper-2-01.html

Comment

Originally posted by straycat
                      Maxboost try an rs kit and you will fall in love with your X2N all over again.You will have a more open single coil tones and natural harmonics.I installed a kit for a guy in his 1 hum Kramer baretta with an X2N and coil tapped it.He about shit when he tried it out.This guy is so anal when it comes to tone I was suprised.I knew it sounded killer but he was his usual sceptical self.
                      What is an rs kit. Is it this, i found while searching?

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore...products_id=97

Other then the cap value improving freq. response with volume turned down how will this help my tone?

Comment

The Gibson pickup covers tend to choke them a bit too. You could try removing them and see what that does for you.

Matt

Comment

Thats the FAQ on the kits.All I can tell you is what I have experienced.I bought a 90s melody maker/1hum the tone sucked.Why? A stock Gibson 300k pot for the vol,100k for the tone and disc cap and shoddy soldering.I installed a rs junior kit 1 500k cts custom taper vol pot and 1 480 cts custom taper tone pot and 1 Hoveland/RS guitarcap.This cap is where the magic is.Its transparency gives you so much clarity and string deffinition.Once the cap "burns" in your tone will open up and then adj your pickup to where it sounds best to you.
                          The M/M kicked ass after the install.
                          I can assure you will will not be dissapointed with your tone.
                          I have installed lots of these kits and never had a customer not love them.
                          Last edited by straycat; 09-13-2006, 06:35 PM.

Comment

I think Dimarzio SD sounds killer in Mahogany. Usually Dimarzios are a little too trebly for me, but they balance out the darker sounding mahogany great. I would highly recommend it.

George

Comment

How can you identify Gibson pickups? Mine just have a Patent # on them.

Comment

Working...
                              X