Running SS amps w/o loads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running SS amps w/o loads?

I have a solid state amp with a headphone jack on the back. Problem is the speakers aren't cut off when the phones are in use and dialing the master down to zero does't completely cut off the volume. I'm thinking of just unplugging the speakers and keeping the master volume on zero when using the phones. Anyone done this sort of thing with a solid state amp? It seems to me that there shouldn't be a problem doing this but I'd prefer to hear the experiences of a few others before doing it myself.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

I'm not sure on this but I don't think using headphones will get rid of the load. If sound still comes out of the speakers when the headphones are in that means it still uses the load. I think you'll do damage. I wouldn't try it. If you want headphone practice pick up a V-amp or a POD or one of those things

Comment

Optimistically, if you turned the master to zero there shouldn't be any problem at all, really, even with that little remainder of sound being directed to the speakers (as you decribed). And that's even forgetting it's an SS amp to begin with, realistically I'd say the output is still needed to power the speakers, but you're cancelling that with the MV and I don't think it poses as big a problem in SS amps as it does with tubes.

I do it on my boogies which are both full tubes, no problem there. (turning master volume to zero on the channel with no load attached on the poweramp)
      Last edited by GodOfRhythm; 09-10-2006, 06:33 AM.
      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by demeyes
        I'm not sure on this but I don't think using headphones will get rid of the load. If sound still comes out of the speakers when the headphones are in that means it still uses the load. I think you'll do damage. I wouldn't try it. If you want headphone practice pick up a V-amp or a POD or one of those things
        Heaphones aren't gonna do anything regarding amp load, as you are not using the power amp section when you use phones. There is a separate driver for that, which means if you don't have speakers hooks up to the speaker outs, you are STILL running it without a load. If memory serves me correctly, that is not a problem with SS amps, so he should be fine. You just don't wanna do that with tube, though.
        I'm not Ron!

Comment

Racer's right. No issue with SS, but not good for the output transformer in a tube amp.

Comment

I did this with my Gk250 ML. you can turn off the external speakers and run it thru the phones just fine.

Comment

SS amps are fine without a load, but don't run two low of a load, like 2ohms in a 16ohm amp.

The lower the load, the more current passing through the output transistors. If you pull too much power (like shorting the load) you'll fry the transistors.

Comment

Working...
              X