Neck pickup for acoustic simulator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck pickup for acoustic simulator?

I recently purchased an Ibanez RGA321F. I plan on using it with the acoustic simulator in the Digitech GNX3000. I know that you need to use your neck pickup and roll off the volume to get an accurate acoustic simulation, but would it make a difference if I get a new pickup? The RGA has a Tone Zone in the bridge and the stock DiMarzio IBZ in the neck. I'm thinking I might get a better acoustic sound with maybe an Air Norton or Breed. Will it even make a difference if I replace the neck pickup? Please, tell me what you think...

Brian

As odd as it sounds, you might look into an old Fender MusicMaster Bass pickup. It's a single-coil sized/shaped thing.
    I had one years ago in an old Dorado acoustic and it duplicated the sound nicely, even if it was a tad underpowered.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

DiMarzio Tech just responded to my email (wow, that was fast) and recommended the Eric Johnson Custom Neck, DP211F.
      I asked what the stock IBZ pickups are modeled after and the bridge is a cross between the Super Distortion/Steve Morse and the neck is a Super 2.
      The IBZ/Super 2 might just be good enough.

Comment

I would try it out with the stock pickup for two reasons. First, you may really like it. Second, if you don't like it, you can figure out what exactly it lacks and work from there. If it's based on a Super 2 & voiced the same, you can look at the specs for the Super 2 and have a good basis for comparison as you look for a replacement. This is why I think people shouldn't always be so quick to swap out pickups when they get a guitar. Sure, if it has crappy pickups get rid of them. But if it's just something you're unfamiliar with, give it a chance & sometimes you find out you like it.

Comment

I had two Duncan Alnico's in my RGA121 and took em out in favour of the stock IBZ pups. I really like the sound.

As far as acoustic, its not worth getting new pups , because truly the neck isnt an overpowering pup and with the volume rolled, it'l be as good as any "simulation" of an acoustic.

With ANY acoustic simulator, It wont sound perfect, or even really near perfect. I tried a LOT, and in the end, just bought an acoustic and leave the electric to its rightfull place!

Comment

Originally posted by Newc
            As odd as it sounds, you might look into an old Fender MusicMaster Bass pickup. It's a single-coil sized/shaped thing.
            I had one years ago in an old Dorado acoustic and it duplicated the sound nicely, even if it was a tad underpowered.
            I don't think I want to try to jam a single coil in a humbucker route, but thanks for the idea!

Comment

Originally posted by dg
              I would try it out with the stock pickup for two reasons. First, you may really like it. Second, if you don't like it, you can figure out what exactly it lacks and work from there. If it's based on a Super 2 & voiced the same, you can look at the specs for the Super 2 and have a good basis for comparison as you look for a replacement. This is why I think people shouldn't always be so quick to swap out pickups when they get a guitar. Sure, if it has crappy pickups get rid of them. But if it's just something you're unfamiliar with, give it a chance & sometimes you find out you like it.
              I plan on trying out the stock neck pickup when I get the guitar tomorrow. And, it actually seems like it might be a great choice for my needs. I might even throw the stock IBZ bridge pickup back in and sell the TZ, even though I really like that pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by gemini8026
                I had two Duncan Alnico's in my RGA121 and took em out in favour of the stock IBZ pups. I really like the sound.

As far as acoustic, its not worth getting new pups , because truly the neck isnt an overpowering pup and with the volume rolled, it'l be as good as any "simulation" of an acoustic.

With ANY acoustic simulator, It wont sound perfect, or even really near perfect. I tried a LOT, and in the end, just bought an acoustic and leave the electric to its rightfull place!

I tried a RGA121 with the GNX3000 at a Guitar Center and the acoustic simulator sounded VERY good. The best I've ever heard in fact. It actually sounded as well as my Variax through an XTL. I had one of the sales guys listening and he couldn't believe the great acoustic sound I was getting.
                I'm never getting another acoustic guitar, I hate 'em!
                Whose birthday is it? Happy BD!

Comment

Working...
                X