Dimbucker or super distortion??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimbucker or super distortion??

Hey guys, thinkin of pulling out my dimarzio super distortion and replacing it with a SD dimebucker at the bridge. The guitar is a dinky xl pro.
    Is there going to be a huge difference or should I just same my money.
    I play alot of aggresive metal and just dont have the sound Im lookin for.
    Thanks

Well, what's lacking in your sound? What sort of tone are you looking for?

Comment

I'd have to go with the DiMarzio Super Distortion or X2N. What kind of amp are you playing through?
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Im play threw a number of set ups. But lately ive been jaming with a line6
        212 combo amp. Ive tuned down about 1 whole step to get that dark sound. and preaty much have the gain cranked. Just want massive gain I think.

Anywho Will there be a big difference between the mentioned pups and the super distortion Im already using.

Play alot of sevendust, pantera, disterbed, Black Label sociaty etc.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes
        Later
        jorne

Comment

For that I would go with either an EMG or the DiMarzio X2N like TJ suggested. This is just my personal opinion though, and I've never used the Dimebucker, so I wouldn't know how it would compare.

The thing about the X2N, is that it is remarkably tight it the bottom register, which is good for downtuned riffing. (Btw, Chuck Schuldiner of Death used to use this pickup.) The one thing I do not like about it, is the shortage of midrange presence. I like a mid-rangey tone, and the X2N doesn't stand out that much in that department. It has a more "organic" sound than an EMG though.

The EMGs are also very tight in the bottom register, and I'd say output is about the same as the X2N - maybe a little lower. The one thing that is special about them, is that particular EMG sound: It is rather "unorganic", and while some like it, others hate it. As a point of reference, EMGs have been an integral part of Metallica's rhythm sound since Master of Puppets.

Would a new pup make a difference? I'd say yes. With a modeling type of amp, you will probably see less of a difference in gain levels than if you used a traditional tube amp - but I do think there would be quite a noticable difference none the less.

Comment

Guys, might the problem be with the basswood? That's not exactly a gainy tonewood? Or is it?
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Mmm, good point Ron. From looking at DiMarzio's site, it appears that the SD has a rather big bass response and less treble. Maybe it is a "less than stellar" match to the basswood body?

Comment

Im just know really IDing my guitar, and have learned it is made from basswood. Ive never heard of a base wood tree???
                If someone could take the time and explain a few different kinds of wood and tones they generate I would really appreciate it.

To discribe the guitars tone is hard. It seems to have huge bottem end. I also have a peavy half stack that I use as well as a crate cabinet. It seems impossable to get a good metal tone out of the peavy even with a deathmetal pedal. The crate is a little better but still not right.

For long lead solos the guitar sounds great but for rythem it is a constent battle.

I guess it could be me, my other band mates say it sounds fine.
                Anywho sorry for the rant!!
                Any info on wood would be great!!
                later

Comment

I use several basswood guitars, and I've actually found that it is the right match for pickups that I didn't like with other wood types. I have used the following pickups in basswood:

Seymour Duncan: JB, Invader, Screamin' Demon
                  DiMarzio: Steve's Special
                  EMG: 81, SA

My favorite so far is the Steve's Special, which in basswood much like the Duncan Full Shred sounds in ash or alder...awesome!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jorne
                    If someone could take the time and explain a few different kinds of wood and tones they generate I would really appreciate it.
                    Jorne! Warmoth has a great page that does just that!

Go here: http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/option..._bodywoods.cfm
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Thanks guys. This site rocks!!

Comment

Working...
                      X