Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing a Speedloader?

Ok it's been a while since I made a new thread now, so here goes nothing

I really want a Floyd Rose in my Charvel and I'm real curious about the Speedloader bridge, seems like it would save me a lot of trouble/time when changing strings.
    But, and here's the bugger, if I want one I would have to get a track for it routed out, and I'm wondering if this is a bad idea.. Could anything go wrong?
    Are there any risks involved here?
    I'm not too keen on sending the guitar all the way from Norway to the US of A either, it would be far too costly.. I'll have to check if anyone does these installments here in Norway..
    However at this stage it's still just a thought so if you wanna talk me in or out of it you could probably persuade me

Thanks in advance
    "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Thay are a pain in the arse. We've had some guitars at work with them and they just dont seem to feel the same as an OFR. The pivoting saddles to me seems like another mechanism to go wrong and break too. Plys uou can only use the speed oader strings. Althought the strings are made by Dean MArkley. They are good strings. But your stuck with them if you use D'addario's or GHs or what ever. I would say just leave your charvel stock and just learn to string faster.
    Gil

Comment

Hehe thanks. Well what about an OFR then? I think I've asked that before but I think people had very different views about it..

Comment

One more thing i forgot to mentoin about the speed loader. You have to change out the nut too. To accomodate the SL strings.
        As for a OFR. I love them. I take your charvel is a Vtrem? There will be some enlarging of the sustain block cavity to accodate the larger FLoyd rose sub structure. (ie sustain block and arm bushing). But other than that there shouldn't be too much to deal with. If you got the mans to do it go for it. Unless its an unmodded vintage Charvel then ill hunt you down and kill you if you mod it.
        Gil

Comment

No worries dude, it's a "cheap" 200x Japan model Still it's the guitar I feel gave me most value for the money. Love it

Comment

Speedloaders are ghey.

Comment

Originally posted by slash-ed
              Speedloaders are ghey.
              There I go for being lazy.. Haha

Comment

Nah, the concept I've always thought was kinda cool... but the special strings (read: pain in the ass!) and lack of tuners on the headstock is just weird.

Comment

FYI the speedloader and the OFR are interchangeable as far as the bridge. The span between the posts and the routing are the same. You do need the special nut.

...and there ain't nothin; ghey about this guitar (USA SL1), it's my best sounding and playing USA Jackson:
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../Jackson-1.jpg

Comment

Hey cool Jackson MountainDog!
                    Seems there's a lot of different views on the Speedloader as well..
                    Maybe I should just try one out and see for myself.. String availability may be an issue but I don't travel much and my local guitar shop has them so..
                    I know alternate tunings are a pain in the ass with the Speedloader but I've always used standard tuning anyway.
                    It would be fun to try it out, I might like it. And if the OFR and SL are interchangeable there shouldn't be any problems if I dislike it

Comment

Wouldn't there be a difference in the nut though?

Comment

Working...
                      X