Pickup Rings: Metal vs. Plastic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Rings: Metal vs. Plastic

I have a question, maybe there are others here who have experienced this. I just changed the black plastic pickup rings on my PS-4 to Chrome plated metal rings. Is it my imagination or does adding metal rings change the guitar's tone? I could sware that since I put on these chrome rings there is more of a bottom end to my guitar's tone now. I seemed to have lost a little of the higher frequencies too. Don't get me wrong, I like it better now, but I don't know if my ears are going or what! BTW the pickups are Duncan Designed Distortions (bridge and neck set)

Does changing from plastic to metal p/u rings change the tone of a guitar that much??????
    Guitars:
    Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
    1988 Model 2,
    Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
    RR3
    Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
    1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
    2005 SG Special

Anything that is attached to the body of a guitar will have an effect. The metal rings are keeping the vibes in the body and adding to it. It's not your imagination.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I put Metal ones on my KVX10 and the fucking guitar SINGS like hell now! Looks pretty bad-ass too, I must say.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

You guys are all drunk.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

And so what!!!! I can hear the difference once my ears stop ringing.

Comment

i only use flash frozen titanium pickup rings. the upper harmonic resonance really sings through with a clarity you wouldn't believe. these pickup rings are so dynamic. they really allow your guitar tone to resonate. oh, and they are true bypass.
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I thought you were kidding. Are you?
              Last edited by fett; 09-02-2006, 01:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire
                I put Metal ones on my KVX10 and the fucking guitar SINGS like hell now! Looks pretty bad-ass too, I must say.

Those chrome rings look awesome! It definitely made my PS-4 look much better!
                Guitars:
                1988 Model 2,
                RR3
                1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                2005 SG Special

Comment

Originally posted by fett
                  Anything that is attached to the body of a guitar will have an effect. The metal rings are keeping the vibes in the body and adding to it. It's not your imagination.
                  I guess it's something like attatching the pickups directly to the body like the EVH models. There are vibrations lost in the plastic I guess!
                  Guitars:
                  1988 Model 2,
                  RR3
                  1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                  2005 SG Special

Comment

Originally posted by jrnic
                    I guess it's something like attatching the pickups directly to the body like the EVH models. There are vibrations lost in the plastic I guess!
                    Good point. For him, it did make a difference. And that's all that matters.

Comment

Seriously, these rings have majorly affected the tone. The guitar seems much louder when playing unplugged, and more "metallic" Notes just ring out that much more. They're rather large, as you can see from the pics. Got 'em from Stewmac.
                      THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

I'm seriously thinking of putting a set on my RR3. It's black but has all the hardware in chrome so I think it'll really make it look good (and sound good too, now that I know!)
                        Guitars:
                        1988 Model 2,
                        RR3
                        1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                        2005 SG Special

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim
                          i only use flash frozen titanium pickup rings. the upper harmonic resonance really sings through with a clarity you wouldn't believe. these pickup rings are so dynamic. they really allow your guitar tone to resonate. oh, and they are true bypass.
                          I looked into the flash frozen ones, but that on-board refrigeration system just wasn't for me. They are useless without it, because once they thaw out the tone is gone.
                          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002
                            I looked into the flash frozen ones, but that on-board refrigeration system just wasn't for me. They are useless without it, because once they thaw out the tone is gone.
                            That, and if you get the super-cooled liquid nitrogen filled ones, you run the risk of spillage if you move around too much on stage and you could get it on your fingers and then they'd just snap right off. Might look neat on stage, but not very practical for a guitarist.
                            THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

LOL you guys are nuts! :ROTF:

Comment

Working...
                              X