Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **Need help with Wiring/Ground issue**

Hey,

I am wiring up a guitar with a Tune o matic bridge, 2 Passive Seymour Duncan Hums, 1 Vol., 1 Tone, and a 3 way blade switch. I have everything wired up and grounded, but for some reason I am still having problems. When i turn the volume on my amp up, the guitar makes a sizzly buzzing sound and only stops when I touch the strings or any other metal piece.
    This is happens when I am close to my amp and/or my computer with the volume high.When I am away from my amp/computer it is ok.

Is this a grounding issue that can be resolved or is it just normal feedback and I just need to find the sweet spot away from the interference????

Thanks!!

Jeremy

Computers cause huge amounts of buzzing/interference. Have you put any shielding in the electrics cavity, you may need to do that.
    www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

i agree...next to computers or even the amp itself, you will get tons of hiss and noise...its the pickups picking up all the electrical radiation from the sources. if you shield the guitar, you can minimize it, but will never eliminate it. any time you sit in front of a computer you will hear all the noise. try putting a wireless optical mouse in front of your pickups...theres some interesting noises to be had there or a cell phone LMAO!

however, about it stopping when you touch the strings. when you ground the pickups, the strings are part of that loop and YOU are what the circuit uses to ground everything. when you touch the strings, you are part of the circuit. take your hands off, the hiss comes back because the circuit isnt grounded.
      My metal band Lucian Scott
      Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
      Available Now!
      New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Hey Speiro and soc_monki thanks for the replies!!!!

The problem is the rest of my guitars that have active and passive pups are fine around my amp and computer and don't give me any problems.

The one i am wiring right now has the control cavity painted black with that electronic shielding paint, has the silver shielding tape on the cavity cover, and I have wired it up just like my other guitar with passive pups and a switch and I still can't seem to get this guitar completely silent like my other ones

Comment

Did you connect the ground wire from the TOM bridge to the vol pot?How about from the jack to the tone pot?
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I agree with stray.... It sounds to me like you didnt ground the bridge. If you have a voltage meter, check for continuity from strings to ground.

Not fun to do after the fact.... You would need to pull one of the bridge mounting studs out, drill a hole from the electronics cavity to the bridge stud hole.... run a wire to the bridge stud hole and leave a good amout of stripped wire exposed to the bridge stud hole, so when the stud goes in, the exposed wire creates a connection to the stud which grounds the strings.

Comment

Hey Stray and Postal,

Thanks for the replies!

I didn't connect the bridge ground wire to the volume pot. I connected it probably to every other ground so i will try connecting it to the vol. pot and see if that solves the problem. The jack is grounded to the tone pot though.

Thanks guys and sorry for the late reply!

Jeremy

Comment

Just solder it to the back of the vol pot.If the problem persists the groud wire may have broken between the bridge and the pot.If that is the case you will need to pull the bridge post and see if its still connected.Its a pretty common problem because the groud wire is thin.Does it have inserts for the TOM bridge or do they screw in like a L.P.if like a L.P.you will need to pull the insert for the stop tail piece and look.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                X