Is this normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this normal?

Is the E string properly aligned with the neck pickup magnet??? It seems too far in-board to me and I lose most of the volume whenever I fret above the 12th. GC was no help!

Thanks.

E = Fb

It is common, but definitely not opitmal.
    It really bothers me how many guitars are like this.

-a

Comment

Nothing wrong with the nut or string alignment, the damn pickup was installed wrong.
      If the string were aligned with the pickup, it would hang off the fretboard.
      -Rick

Comment

Not even my worst piece of shit guitar has a string that far off the pole. There is no way that's even remotely within range. The 'tar is out of wack. Yeah, the strings look OK. Is it a guitar you just bought? If it is, take it back and stick up their......
        Last edited by fett; 08-30-2006, 06:11 PM.
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Example ... here's my SL1, which someone installed a DiMarzio Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues pickup into:

Not nearly as bad as the OP's ... however the alignment is still poor. According to DiMarzio's website, this is intended as a bridge pickup. The balance from string to string is very poor on this pickup, so I need to get rid of it. The YJM in the middle is also extremely weak in comparison to the bridge (Evo2). Bah ... I'm thinking Chopper / Fast Track.

-a
          Last edited by HoWheels; 08-30-2006, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Just get Some cool rails and be done with it. :P But seriously folks try the veal.
            what kind of guitar is it? Is it the stock pup? Maybe finding a neck pup with the right string spacing would be in order. Also unless its the lighting. The neck seems to be a bit off too. It looks like its the 6th string is to closeto the edge. But it could be the lighting of the pic or the angle of it.
            Gil

Comment

You'll see a lot of Fender MIM Strats just like that, unfortunately. I had '54s put into mine by my tech, and he slid them over as far as he could, but he was still shaking his head at it.

Comment

Originally posted by danastas
                You'll see a lot of Fender MIM Strats just like that, unfortunately. I had '54s put into mine by my tech, and he slid them over as far as he could, but he was still shaking his head at it.
                You bastard:ROTF: :ROTF: I just looked at my 1996 MIM Strat and the middle pickup is offline.:ROTF: :ROTF:
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

This is my MIM Strat and I've had it over a year. I don't know why it took so long to really notice it, but probably since I hardly play it. I called the tech support line this afternoon at Fender and the only thing they recommended was taking it to an authorized repair shop in my area. So, I probably will, but I guess it will be for nothing.
                  E = Fb

Comment

looks like a pickguard routing problem.
                    METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonaxes
                      looks like a pickguard routing problem.
                      The alignment was the same with the original pickguard too.
                      E = Fb

Comment

Looks to me like the string spacing on the pickup is different than the string spacing on the guitar. The bass strings seem to be closer to alignment and the high strings get further out. I have seen it in cheapo Cort and Encores but never in a top line model before!

Comment

The problem is they use the same size pickups for all 3 locations.
                          The slanted bridge pickup should be lined up just right. Take that same pickup and straighten it out and you have this issue shown in the first post.
                          -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone
                            The problem is they use the same size pickups for all 3 locations.
                            The slanted bridge pickup should be lined up just right. Take that same pickup and straighten it out and you have this issue shown in the first post.
                            +100, I haven´t ever seen a strat with stock (or stock spaced) pickups that didn´t have this issue to some extent.

Comment

Looks to me like the bridge route is off center, or the neck pocket is crooked. I know the pup poles never line up perfectly with the strings on those anyway, but why is the low E string right on the edge of the fretboard, and the high E string is a mile from the edge? If that one problem were corrected, the pup poles would be much closer to correct.
                              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                              X