Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Me Choose Some Humbuckers!

Hello All,
    I am going to have Charvel build my first cutom shop guitar. I'm pretty stoked. Though I certainly have a ton of opinions on pickups, I'd kind of like to hear what you'd pick if you were me.

The guitar will have 2 humbuckers, alder body, maple neck and a Floyd. I love heavy distortion for my metal gig but I also like backing off quite a bit to do more of a relaxed alternative vibe with just a touch of distortion. Getting a nice clean sound would be cool too.

Hey, I know that I really need 3 guitars for what I just described, and I do use several guitars for these purposes but I thought that if I could get all of this in one axe how cool would that be?

Priority:
    1. Metal: deep bassy tones with clear treble and mids
    2. Alt Rock: clear distiguishable notes when picking with slight distortion
    3. Clean: well, just overall good tone

Oh, one more thing: I have always believed that if you start with a good sound there's a better chance you'll end with a good one. So pickups have always been important to me! That said, I use a variety of amps and floor effects. I use a JCM800 head/cab and recently got a Mesa dual rectifier that I'm still playing with.
    Last edited by stgabriel; 08-30-2006, 01:53 PM.

Emg, 60, 81!!
    I love admins!

Comment

Why is it the EMG guys are always first to answer? LOL.

Comment

metal = EMG
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Well, I was leaning toward a Dimarzio option because I know 'em. I have to admit I have never used an EMG! Perhaps I need to go check them out...

Comment

EMG 89 It is an 85 and SA all in one with a push/pull pot.

Alvin
            MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

If going with EMGs, I'd suggest an 85 in the bridge with either a 60 or 81 in the neck.
              For passives, a DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge with a Duncan Jazz in the neck is awesome. You also can't go wrong with a Super Distortion or X2N in the bridge with a Super 2 in the neck.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

BareKnuckle Nailbomb Set
                "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

What do you guys think of the Dimebucker? I have original Lawrences in my Kelly, but the wait time is rather putting me off ordering new ones...

Comment

I had the dimebucker in my DK1... for MY ears, it seemed very shrill.

Comment

How about this...

Neck: Dimarzio PAF Pro DP151
                      Bridge: Dimarzio Super 3 DP152

The neck is slightly brighter than usual. The Super 3 will allow me to crank the bass and treble on the amp to get a really meaty distortion...

Comment

PAF Pro is always a great choice for neck imo, but the tone is very balanced to me rather than bright...

Comment

the EMGs will work...i prefer an 81 in the bridge, tried the 85 in the bridge but it wasnt for me...but the 85 in the neck is great i think, as is the 81.

for passives, i like the Duncan Distortion in the bridge...very heavy metal sound (lots of mids, tight low end, lots of highs but not shrill, very full pickup), which is also very good for lighter crunch tones and ive even gotten very awesome cleans out of it. for the neck...cant help you there, i dont really use the neck pickups much...i usually just replace the bridge and im done with it LOL
                          My metal band Lucian Scott
                          Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                          Available Now!
                          New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Duncan custom custom and a Jazz. nuff said. :P
                            Gil

Comment

Dimarzios
                              Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Working...
                              X