Acoustic Owners - Figured Maple Tops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustic Owners - Figured Maple Tops?

OK, so I'm thinking of ordering another thinline acoustic/electric. Probably another Carvin. The one I have now has a spruce top. I know spruce is very common for acoustics and, with the mahogany back and neck, makes for a very nice tone - plugged or unplugged. For this new one, though, I'm thinking of ordering a flamed maple top.

I know what the tone differences between the two woods mean relative to a solid body electric guitar. But I'm wondering how significantly different it will sound with an acoustic? i.e., I don't want to sacrifice a lot of tone for the sake of the appreance of a pretty top, but I wouldn't mind making a small trade-off of tone for looks.

...Opinions?

Well, I don't have a figured maple top acoustic, but have never seen an electric with a spruce top

If the Jazz'R I had was any indication (spruce body, quilted maple top and back), it most-likely won't be boomy on the low end like some acoustics can be, and the highest notes would have a tad more punch.

Of course, the Jazz'R also had a mahogany neckthrough with internal sound chambers, rather than a completely hollow body.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc
      ...but have never seen an electric with a spruce top.
      Not mine, but:

http://www.themusiczoo.com/JacksonCu...anaJA0470.html

:P

Comment

I've had a couple of acoustics with figured maple tops, back and sides. Maple doesn't resonate as much as spruce, so the top doesn't vibrate and move as much to throw out more volume. But, maple still sounds good, and looks a lot better, too.

Comment

Meh. F**k it. I ordered it with a flamed maple top. Thanks guys.

Comment

Gibson uses maple as does Taylor on some of the acoustics for back and sides. with a spruce top. But form my experiences with differant woods and tones. I would have to say the mohagony will help keep it mellower but it will have a bright attack and some what bright sustain. I would use rosewood for the finger board to help take some of the brightness out. It should sustain pretty well considering its a denser wood then Spruce or Cedar. It should still have good projection even though it is a bit stiffer. If the topis the proper thickness that wount really matter to much though. Thinner top will vibrate more and get more bottom end.
            Gil

Comment

Working...
            X