Fusion body + Peavey Neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fusion body + Peavey Neck

I have this way cool Fusion bod with Duncans on it and I have been looking for a Charvel neck to stick on it. I haven't found one. But I just discovered that the old USA Peavey Tracer neck I have looks like it will fit quite nicely. The one bit of downside is the neck has a regular nut. I don't really use the Floyd much. I would rather not try and cut in a Floyd nut. If this turns out OK, I'll get locking tuners. I'll get pictures up as soon as I'm done. Wish me luck. Any input will be appreciated.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

The Fusion body should be short scale: 24-3/4"
    Tracer necks can be 22 fret or 24 fret and 25-1/2" or 24-3/4" scale. Which one do you have?

On the neck, if you measure from front of nut to middle 12th fret and get 12-3/8" then you have a 24-3/4" scale neck. If you get 12-3/4", then you have a 25-1/2" scale neck.

If you have a 24-3/4" scale neck, place it in the body pocket so that the distance from the bridge saddles to 12th fret is 12-3/8". Likewise, if you have a 25-1/2" scale neck, place it in the body pocket so that the distance from bridge saddles to 12th fret is 12-3/4". When you do this, made sure your bridge saddles have room to go back and forth a bit so you can fine tune the intonation, then do the measurement to the 12th fret.

Depending on how many frets the neck on the fusion body had and depending on if you have a 22 fret neck or 24 fret neck and depending on the scale of the neck, you might find after the above neck placement measurement exercise:
    a) the neck fits good in the body pocket
    b) there is a big gap between the end of the neck and the back of the body pocket
    c) you can't get the neck close enough to the bridge and have to route out the body pocket further to the bridge.

Comment

Thanks. The Tracer neck is a 24 fret short-scale. I did a dry fit and measured from nut to bridge and it's 24 3/4 on the nose. I think I'm glad the Fusion has a recessed Floyd pocket.

Comment

It will look something like this but my headstock is not reversed. http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Electric-...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

So looks like your tracer neck came off a "Tracer II '89":
          http://www.peavey.com/media/pdf/manuals/80301092.pdf

24 fret and correct scale for the fusion body, should work well!

Comment

FYI, I have a couple Tracers, both the '89 Deluxe with short scale, maple board and reverse headstock. I think these necks are great, they are basically maple board versions of the Vandenberg.

Comment

That's the one. Thanks again.

Comment

Done it. no problema, the 24 fret necks have an angular taper at the neck transition and a square heel, but it doesn't come into play. PV also made a shit load of 23 fret 24.75 guitars but they are all semi strat heads
                I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

I installed the neck. Just a few observations and comments. First off, the neck itself is one of the best feeling ones I own. I was just a wee bit off squaring the 2 3/16 heel into the 2 1/4 pocket. But it's still OK. When I first started setting up the Schaller Floyd and the strings, I was getting dead spots on the upper frets. I shimmed the nut and that helped. And then I shimmed the neck to give it alittle uplift. And that helped a little. But I was still having dead spots up top. I thought the neck needed a truss adjustment. Then I raised the Floyd. It sits way up there. Once I got good tension on the neck, it worked fine. It plays well and I am happy. However, if I want to get the Floyd lower, it looks like I will have to shave the heel a bit. Correct?

Comment

I would add one more thing. I took all the stuff down to bare wood on the board and 600 griitted the neck to get what little stuff was on it. It's a raw neck and it is wonderful. Eddie may have been on to something.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:

Comment

Working...
                    X