Truss Rod Nut Becomes Extremely Loose When Loosening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truss Rod Nut Becomes Extremely Loose When Loosening

When I was loosening the truss rod on my DKMG the nut all of a sudden became very loose. When I turned it to the right a few turns it tightened back up. What does this mean? Is the truss rod broken??

It means it's right hand threads and you've loosened it too much. Kinda normal I think.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Sounds to me like you just loosened it to the point that there was no more relief (forward bow) to be had in the neck, so there was no tension on the rod. BTW, was it under string tension or not? If the rod was broken, it wouldn't have tightened back up. How much did you loosen it from your starting point? I rarely ever need to tweak any of mine more than 1/4 of a turn, so when you talk about "a few turns", it kind of makes me go .

Comment

I was doing it under string tension. I don't think I realized how far I had loosened it. So is anything wrong with it? Because it's tight now.

Comment

You should be fine, but it just might be harder to get it set exactly right since you've gotten so far away from your original setting. Ideally, it should be as straight as possible with just a little bit of relief. You should be able to set the action pretty low with no string buzz. Were you having any particular problem that made you decide to loosen it?

Comment

Ya, I'm sure you've read my other thread. All of the notes on the 12th fret are fretting out on bends end I wanted to give the neck more bow to see if it would help. I guess it didn't help though. Possibly a high fret?

Comment

I'm pretty sure everything is ok. Go get some rest and check it again in the morning.
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Here's the thing, the neck has barely any bow and is almost completely straight. When I slightly loosen the truss rod nut and tune up it doesn't even seem to effect anything. Then after slightly loosening it a few more times and tune the guitar, the neck still has barely any bow at all and the truss rod nut is completely loose. What the heck is wrong?? What can I do to fix it??

Comment

Originally posted by guitarman13
                  When I slightly loosen the truss rod nut and tune up it doesn't even seem to effect anything. Then after slightly loosening it a few more times and tune the guitar, the neck still has barely any bow at all and the truss rod nut is completely loose.
                  How long are you waiting for it to take effect? It doesn't happen right away, you know? Let it sit for awhile, maybe even overnight. And you only need to loosen it like a quarter of a turn. If you don't know what you're doing, take it to a professional.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
                    How long are you waiting for it to take effect? It doesn't happen right away, you know? Let it sit for awhile, maybe even overnight. And you only need to loosen it like a quarter of a turn. If you don't know what you're doing, take it to a professional.
                    +1

I have this funny feeling he's gonna wake up tomorrow with a neck that looks like it could shoot arrows.
                    -Rick

Comment

Are you tuned to standard pitch ,if not that will effected the neck .

Comment

Yes. I let the guitar sit overnight after I adjusted it and there was still barely any bow in the neck at all.

Comment

Hold the low E string down at the first fret and last fret. See how much space there is between the string and the 5th through 9th frets. If you can fit about a .10 or more size string between the string and the frets, then you've got enough of a bow and shouldn't need it any looser.

Try putting a ruler or some type of straight edge on the frets and see if it rocks back and forth at all. It may be a fret problem. I'd take it to a professional then just to be sure.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarman13
                            Here's the thing, the neck has barely any bow and is almost completely straight. When I slightly loosen the truss rod nut and tune up it doesn't even seem to effect anything. Then after slightly loosening it a few more times and tune the guitar, the neck still has barely any bow at all and the truss rod nut is completely loose. What the heck is wrong?? What can I do to fix it??
                            My SL2H had exactly the same problem. Tuned to standard E, I couldn't get enough relief in the neck. I loosened the truss-rod to the point that the nut came off the rod. This is a characteristic of a single-action truss-rod.

I ended up just putting a slightly heavier gauge of string on, and now it's perfect.

-a

Comment

I had a similar issue on a guitar when I tried to use 9s tuned to Eb. Did fine with 10s.

I finally read the thread where the original problem was described: fretting out somewhere above the 12th fret. A truss rod adjustment is not the answer for problems high on the neck. I'm betting on a raised fret or something along those lines.

Comment

Working...
                              X