Duncan Holdsworth sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Holdsworth sound?

So I got a Duncan Holdsworth humbucker a while back, but haven't put it in yet, because I don't know what type of voicing it has.
    Is it JB/Distortion-ish or 59-ish or Jazz-ish or Custom-ish or what-ish?

Would it work better in Alder, Mahogany (with or without maple cap), or what?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Those sound terrible. I'll take it.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

59-ish Newc!!

& Tim's right....that's not the pickup you're looking for....move along....move along!!

Comment

59-ish, ok, thanks. I guess that means mahogany - but, Les Paul or NASL?
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

newc, it's not going to work with any of your guitars. i'll take it.
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Newc
            So I got a Duncan Holdsworth humbucker a while back, but haven't put it in yet, because I don't know what type of voicing it has.
            Is it JB/Distortion-ish or 59-ish or Jazz-ish or Custom-ish or what-ish?

Would it work better in Alder, Mahogany (with or without maple cap), or what?
            it is a 16K alnico 5 pup that has a real smooth JB type tone
            If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

that is one of the pickups that doug aldrich used in an alder body strat on the Dio Evil or Divine DVD. he had tried and L500 but "it didn't work in the alder body. so alex gave him a duncan holdsworth model and it sounded pretty fat."
              (paraphrased from the doug's website)
              Last edited by Dreamland_Rebel; 08-28-2006, 10:26 AM.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Great pickup, just a tad more open-sounding and less nasal than a JB, but it still retains the overtones.

In my opinion it's the only "signature" pickup that actually gets you close to the tone it was designed for.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel
                  that is one of the pickups that doug aldrich used in an alder body strat on the Dio Evil or Divine DVD. he had tried and L500 but "it didn't work in the alder body. so alex gave him a duncan holdsworth model and it sounded pretty fat."
                  (paraphrased from the doug's website)
                  Do you own that guitar now?

Comment

no, that guitar is from Doug's old website, that had some of his gear detail and guitars up/

Comment

The Allah Holdsworth Duncan pickup IS a JB pickup with an Alnico II magnet in place of the JB's normal Alnico 5 magnet. Only other difference is 12 adjustable screws instead of 6 screws/6 slugs.

So yes it will sound like a creamier/smoother JB

Comment

You know, I'm not a fan of the Duncan version of the Holdsworth but the Carvin I like (figures, I'm a Carvin fan too). The Duncan sounds great but I find the Carvin PU has this airy, open sound to it, breaths more. Damn it's hard to describe a sound in text.

Great score though, congrats!
                        I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson-Charvel
                          The Allah Holdsworth Duncan pickup IS a JB pickup with an Alnico II magnet in place of the JB's normal Alnico 5 magnet. Only other difference is 12 adjustable screws instead of 6 screws/6 slugs.

So yes it will sound like a creamier/smoother JB
                          the AH duncan uses a alnico 5
                          I have old duncan literature and it states the pup has a resistance of 16.3K and uses a alnico 5 magnet
                          If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Working...
                          X