Has anybody tried an EMG-58?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody tried an EMG-58?

I have an EMG-81 in my guitar right now, but I am curious about the 58. It's supposed to sound like a P90. Can anybody help?

It was a early pickup that EMG made it's more like an 85.

Comment

EMG will still make it. It was the first version of the 85, supposed to sound like a P90. I think Sunbane and maybe someone else here has one.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I had a 58 in one of my Charvel's about a year ago. It was an old one from the 1980's. The 58 is very high output (even more so than the 85). EMG stopped it's production due to it being noisy. But like Joe said, EMG will still make it for you. I prefer the 85.

Alvin
        MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

I currently have two 58s that have been in and out of a few guitars - one really old one, and a new one with quick-connect cables.

Its tone is similar to the 85, but with more "sparkly highs", like a singlecoil. The 58 is also not quite as "tight" in the bass register as the 85 for rhythm work. Although the difference isn't big (and it isn't muddy at all) - its sound is just a tad looser. For the bridge position, I would still recommend an 85, because of its better tightness. The 58 is ideal for the neck position IMO. It has a great sound for both leads and cleans.

The 58 is noticably noisier than the more recent EMG pups, but not enough to be irritating (IMO). You will hear a faint hiss through the amp when the pickup is on and you're not playing. Like Alvin stated, it is a high output pickup in the same class as the 81 and 85.

The 58 is my favourite neck pickup, and is a good match to a bridge-mounted 85.

Comment

Thank you guys very much for your input.

Comment

Working...
            X