Wiring Quandry ******HELP***********

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Quandry ******HELP***********

ok I have a question for the wiring experts....

I have a dk2m I just sent to Mitch @ Mean Street to flash for me.
    It has 2 humbuckers & a 3 way blade.
    1 volume knob & 1 tone knob..

I want to do away with the 3 way blade & replace it with a 3 way toggle... no problem there..

I also want to do away with the tone knob & make it a seperate volume knob for the 2nd humbucker.

will this take away from the tone?? I always have the tone full on... always.. is there a way it can be wired full tone??? and still do like I want with the 2 volume knobs?? instead of volume & tone???

anybody???

can someone hit me up with a wiring schematic I can get to Mitch???? anyone???? PLEASE!!!!
    “The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is winning an argument with a liberal”

Well when you take out the 3 way blade you will have a slit in the body.You can run two vols no problrm but where are you going to put your 3 way toggle.IMO if you drill in the center of the 3way blade slit you can very easily split the body plus it looks like shit when people do this.I've seen this many times.I would just leave the 3way blade if it were me.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.C
      ok I have a question for the wiring experts....

I have a dk2m I just sent to Mitch @ Mean Street to flash for me.
      It has 2 humbuckers & a 3 way blade.
      1 volume knob & 1 tone knob..

I want to do away with the 3 way blade & replace it with a 3 way toggle... no problem there..

It can be done, but you will have what straycat stated. You could fill it in, drill a new hole and do a refinish.

I also want to do away with the tone knob & make it a seperate volume knob for the 2nd humbucker.

will this take away from the tone??
      No
      I always have the tone full on... always.. is there a way it can be wired full tone??? and still do like I want with the 2 volume knobs?? instead of volume & tone???
      Yes
      anybody???

can someone hit me up with a wiring schematic I can get to Mitch???? anyone???? PLEASE!!!!
      Check with this one http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUHH3T2101

Just eliminate the tone pot from the above circuit.
      Flash, whats's a Flash job?
      Last edited by Bengal65; 08-23-2006, 10:48 PM.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Ah, I answered my own question. You are getting a "Holoflash" paint job. You can have the 3 way blade slit and screw holes filled, prior to the re-painting.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

sorry to confuse you a flash job is a holoflash finish

like this

“The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is winning an argument with a liberal”

Comment

yeah Mitch is going to fill the blade slit & holes, & put in the toggle

my concern was loosing any tone by eliminating the tone knob.
            each pup having it's own volume knob works better for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65
              Check with this one http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUHH3T2101

Just eliminate the tone pot from the above circuit.
              Flash, whats's a Flash job?
              thanks bro, I really appreaciate that. very much

Comment

No problame-o. Sounds like an oxymoron, but by eliminating the tone circuit from the guitar you will have no tone loss and have the raw sound of the pickup. The tone knob basically gets in the way providing a resistance in the circuit. Most pickup setups really do not need the tone circuit. Some benefit slightly with a tone in the circuit. Mostly single coil Pup's in my opinion. I have done quite a few guitar wiring jobs lately and the tone circuit has been eliminated. Much better and less knobs on the guitar. Did you see Newc's new Warrior post? No knobs at all Very cool! It's either on or off:ROTF:

Comment

Removing the tone knob opens up your pup fully, it usually adds highs that the cap. on your tone knob filters. You can still put a cap. on your vol. knob if you end up with too much treble.
                  Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

What jcm said. Plus it will give you more output too due to less resistance with less circutry for the signal to go through.
                    Gil

Comment

Originally posted by jcm800x
                      Removing the tone knob opens up your pup fully, it usually adds highs that the cap. on your tone knob filters. You can still put a cap. on your vol. knob if you end up with too much treble.
                      +1...I pulled the tone knob out of an RG-570 and it got too bright-sounding for my taste. As JCM said though, you can have a cap added to your volume control to bleed some of those highs to ground. BTW, that holo-flash looks freakin killer...How much do those finishes run?
                      Last edited by wicked_lester; 08-28-2006, 10:07 PM.
                      ------------------------------------------------
                      Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I wired my DR3 the same way your wiring the DK2M, and I love it! I also used 1meg/ohm pots too, so its definitely wide open and bright.

Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Working...
                        X