Volume knob a bit too easy to turn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume knob a bit too easy to turn!

How difficult is it to replace the volume knob? or vol pot? Mine is far too easy to move, when I palm mute, the dang thing lowers the volume. The tone knob(it's an SL-1) is fine.

Is it a simple DIY procedure?

Thank you!!!

very very easy, do you have a soldering iron?

Comment

There was a thread about this recently. I mentioned my technique of taking some foam (the 1/4" thick type that comes with EMG pickups works great) and cutting foam 'washers' out of it with scissors. Cut a hole in the center that slips over the pot shaft, and cut the outer diameter so that it's smaller than the knob. Put the foam washer over the pot shaft, then reinstall the knob. If you have the type of knob that locks in with a set screw, you can use that to set the height of the knob and how much 'squish' it puts on the foam, therefore adjusting the 'tension' on the knob. Sometimes you have to add a 2nd piece of foam. When you are done, the foam is unseen under the knob and you have a knob that isn't flopping around.

Comment

I griped about a week ago. I dropped my tone in the cavity (covered with elec tape and set wide open), then I put the vol in the tone hole. Tossed a smooth head carriage bolt in the vol hole. I'll paint it to match soon.

I had to do the same with my Jem 777. I'll end up doing something similar with my Model 7. No can do on my Fusion Special with 1 knob that's too close for comfort. I'll try the foam & tension trick on the Fusion.

Comment

Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog
            There was a thread about this recently. I mentioned my technique of taking some foam (the 1/4" thick type that comes with EMG pickups works great) and cutting foam 'washers' out of it with scissors. Cut a hole in the center that slips over the pot shaft, and cut the outer diameter so that it's smaller than the knob. Put the foam washer over the pot shaft, then reinstall the knob. If you have the type of knob that locks in with a set screw, you can use that to set the height of the knob and how much 'squish' it puts on the foam, therefore adjusting the 'tension' on the knob. Sometimes you have to add a 2nd piece of foam. When you are done, the foam is unseen under the knob and you have a knob that isn't flopping around.
            I have done the same thing with felt.
            Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

Working...
            X