Filling pup holes....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filling pup holes....

Whats the best thing to fill the center pup rout in my guitar? I assume wood fillers might be a pain and take for ever to full set.

Thanks!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Bondo
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone
      Bondo
      +1 for Bondo. I used it on my yellow Marvin Model 1 refin and I'm currently using it on three in-progress projects right now. I know mm2002 (Mark) uses it as well.

Alvin
      MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

My DK2M may just become a ....DK2M1H or something. Bye bye neck pickup, hello blood-splatter graphic!

Comment

hmm, i've heard so much about bondo, can you really use it on ANYTHING? i've been wanting to change alot on my old old OLD bc rich assasin (nowadays known as the ASM), such as fill in the 2 single coil slots and change the way the humbucker screws in (it currently takes 3 screws, i plan to change it to 2)...is it really all possible?
          DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

Comment

cool guys...I'll do that! It's my black fusion pro (circa 91' I think). the nicest neck ever. I just ordered a OFR in chrome. I am putting a parallel axis in the bridge and just to be different I ordered a white hotrails for the neck pup...I just want to fill in the mid pup hole and I'll probably leave it looking like a beat up POS while having all new parts and a fresh set up. It currently has a bad black paint job...I'm going to get the frets done too.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Originally posted by szostak
              hmm, i've heard so much about bondo, can you really use it on ANYTHING?
              Read it & weep

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48539
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Bondo! It'sll do anything. I once broke my room dor off the hinges completely and used bondo to pretty much replace 4 inches of timber that I then screwed into and hung a door on.
                I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by szostak
                  hmm, i've heard so much about bondo, can you really use it on ANYTHING?
                  Yes, you can use bondo on ANYTHING! Sometimes I spread it on toast instead of butter (it's totally fat free!)
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Bondo. It's not just for breakfast, anymore!

I'm actually about to fill in a strat stock jackplate hole, and redrill for a charvel-style oval plate. What I did was made a wood plug to fill the majority of the hole. I plan on bonding it in, with Titebond, then filling in the remaining difference with Evercoat poly filler. MM reccomended the stuff, and I used it on my plast project, with much success (Thanks, MM.). Very easy to work with, and had zero probs with shrinkage.
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

Dolphin Glaze, which is basically a body filler auto-body guys use
                      Wood filler may be more porous after it dries, so you end up with pin holes. Glazing can do the same thing but its not as likely as wood filler to do it.

Plus, if you're going to paint it with urethanes, glazing works perfectly underneath, whereas wood filler can soak up more paint than the wood around it.
                      “The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is winning an argument with a liberal”

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k
                        Bondo. It's not just for breakfast, anymore!
                        :ROTF:
                        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I've heard good things about Marine Epoxy as well, but I've never tried it myself.

Regardless of what you decide to use, I'd recommend taking a Dremel and angle off the edges of the cavity. This should help hide any lines when you feather out your filler.

Comment

use black tape as someone else did on their LP hehe XD
                            If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Model1VH2
                              Regardless of what you decide to use, I'd recommend taking a Dremel and angle off the edges of the cavity. This should help hide any lines when you feather out your filler.
                              Excellent point I must say! Very good!
                              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                              X