Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions: How to stack your guitar cases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions: How to stack your guitar cases?

Alright, this topic probably borders on stupidity, but I'm going to ask anyway. For those of you with sizeable enough collections, how do you stack your guitars when they're in their cases?

I've always stacked them with cases on top of each other. But I've seen others stack them "standing up" style, with the cases side-by-side.

I've always thought that the former would be superior, as any weight concerns are borne by the cases themselves, not the guitars. And I've always wondered that, if you stack cases standing up, would that possibly put unwanted tension/pressure on the necks? i.e., If the top and bottom halves of the cases were not supporting the guitar perfectly equal, then then neck may be getting pressure in one direction or the other.

Whatchya think?

I place mine side-by-side, handles up, if that makes any sense.
    I don't have any pics of my pile-o-guitars in their cases as my wife calls it.
    -Rick

Comment

Right or wrong, I stack my cases on the ends (in closets). I just figure if the guitar is moving inside the case, the weight is supported by end of the guitar. Kind of like books on a book shelf, so you need to have a "book-end" so they don't fall over or just buy enough guitars to fit the storage space.
      No honey, I have always had this Jackson....

Comment

Line 'em up like books on a shelf!!The weight of all the guitars & cases stacked up can damage the guitars!!

Comment

Originally posted by BLOOD SPLATTER
          Line 'em up like books on a shelf!!The weight of all the guitars & cases stacked up can damage the guitars!!
          +1... i live in a tiny bedsit which has a tiny wardrobe. clothes get squished to the back or dumped on shelves. guitars take priority and are book-shelf-style stacked - they won't go in any other way.
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al
            Right or wrong, I stack my cases on the ends (in closets). I just figure if the guitar is moving inside the case, the weight is supported by end of the guitar. Kind of like books on a book shelf, so you need to have a "book-end" so they don't fall over or just buy enough guitars to fit the storage space.
            That's how I stack mine in my closet. I have them standing on end. I also cut a piece of a used rug into a long rectangular strip and stapled it to the wall where the cases touch the wall. This way it helps the cases from sliding on the wall and also protects the wall from marks.
            Guitars:
            Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
            1988 Model 2,
            Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
            RR3
            Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
            1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
            2005 SG Special

Comment

I stand mine on end as well (leaning against the wall); but then I only have 3 or 4 or so to worry about, so space concerns aren't a huge deal

Comment

Side by side standing with the bridge side of the guitar towards the bottom. Less chances of anything happenign to the neck/head that way.
                I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Mine are standing on end, body of the guitar at bottom with handles out plus a I tape what is in each case next to handle. Most guitar collectors and store do it that way for storage .

Comment

I stack mine one on top of the other. Haven't had any problems.
                    -------------------------
                    Blank yo!

Comment

Guitar cases are for transportation only. If they're staying home all the time anyway, get 'em out of those stuffy 'ol cases and get some wall hangers! Let 'em breathe man! Let each and every one bask in their own glory while adding beauty to the surroundings. Hell, stack those damn cases out in the garage out of the way, or even in the back yard under a tarp or something. There's nothing asthetically appealing about a guitar case anyway. You can walk along the "wall of glory" and pick any axe, and it's ready to play.....without shuffling through a bunch of stupid cases with masking tape on them.
                      You guys can tell I'm not a hard core collector huh?
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I keep all of mine in the attic. We've only had about 5 days of 100+ degree days so far this summer. In the winter, they go to the basement. Nice and damp to even out those hot summer days. Oh yeah, I stack mine vertically, side-by-side with the bodies in the air, the heads at the bottom. Makes for a 'zen-like' state
                        Last edited by fullshred; 08-17-2006, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BLOOD SPLATTER
                          +100

Butt end towards the floor, headstock towards the sky, ready for liftoff as soon as you take the case out of the rack and open it

Comment

Originally posted by fullshred
                            I keep all of mine in the attic. We've only had about 5 days of 100+ degree days so far this summer. In the winter, they go to the basement. Nice and damp to even out those hot summer days. Oh yeah, I stack mine vertically, side-by-side with the bodies in the air, the heads at the bottom. Makes for a 'zen-like' state
                            LMAO! :ROTF:
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002
                              Guitar cases are for transportation only. If they're staying home all the time anyway, get 'em out of those stuffy 'ol cases and get some wall hangers! Let 'em breathe man! Let each and every one bask in their own glory while adding beauty to the surroundings. Hell, stack those damn cases out in the garage out of the way, or even in the back yard under a tarp or something. There's nothing asthetically appealing about a guitar case anyway. You can walk along the "wall of glory" and pick any axe, and it's ready to play.....without shuffling through a bunch of stupid cases with masking tape on them.
                              You guys can tell I'm not a hard core collector huh?

I like that!
                              Guitars:
                              Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                              1988 Model 2,
                              Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                              RR3
                              Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                              1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                              2005 SG Special

Comment

Working...
                              X