Hang Em High

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hang Em High

I'm getting ready to move into a new home where I will have my own dedicated large "Guitar Room". I can't wait! I would really like to display all my guitars on the wall as many others on the JCF do. I have a few already up on string swings. I would like to know before I decide exactly how to design this room if there are any harmful effects of hanging guitars this way for long periods of time. Does it put constant pressure on the neck or neck joint that could cause damage down the road? There are other options and just want to get some advice before setting all this up.
    "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
    I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

No. The pressure and force exerted by your strings on the neck is many, many, MANY times greater than the pressure exerted by the weight of the actual guitar itself, hanging on the string swings.

The only thing that could happen is a bad reaction of the finish to the foammaterial used on the hangers, that's pretty rare, I've only seen it happen on some older gibsons (nitro I believe). Most hangers/stands have non-reactive foam nowadays.

If you want to be 100% sure you could hang some cloth over the foam before hanging your guitar into it.

Other than that you're 100% safe.

------------

Other effects, of course, are not due to the hanging, but due to the room, like humidity/temperature. For instance don't go hanging up your prized axes on the wall, above a radiator or heater....
    Last edited by GodOfRhythm; 08-16-2006, 11:42 AM.
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Yeah I've been hanging my guitars for years...no worries.
      ------------------------------------------------
      Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Avoid hanging them over baseboard heaters/air conditioning!!

Comment

Originally posted by BLOOD SPLATTER
          Avoid hanging them over baseboard heaters/air conditioning!!
          Yep! And also, always hang 'em INDOORS! I know they look cool on the patio, deck, or around the garden, but trust me....the rain will fuck 'em up!
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002
            Yep! And also, always hang 'em INDOORS! I know they look cool on the patio, deck, or around the garden, but trust me....the rain will fuck 'em up!
            People actually do that?

Comment

Thanks for explaining that one Mark, I was just about to hang some around here...:ROTF:

Comment

Yeah I was gonna hang my Jem in a scrub oak in the front yard and put some bird seed in the monkey grip to feed the morning doves...not anymore I guess!
                Last edited by wicked_lester; 08-17-2006, 02:00 PM.
                ------------------------------------------------
                Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks for all the great advice about not hanging my guitars outside or over an open flame pit etc. I never would have known. You are making a mockery of my serious question and I expect nothing less from you guys. Just kidding. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to do something I would regret later (which we have all done at one time or another).
                  "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
                  I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Working...
                  X