Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wood combo question

this is a pretty noob question but i have to ask cause i don't know

how would a jackson guitar, lets say rhoads model match up sound wise (how would it sound) mahagony body, full maple cap, maple neck, ebony fretboard, floyd rose, and bill lawrence l500xl in the bridge ?

another thing to add, I like brightness alot, not in the lynch way though, slap some sense into me with this.

here's what was going through my mind when i asked this, i was going to have a custom guitar made (i'm going to make this sound like warcraft now) I was thinking that i could have the mahagony to add lots of character and it's mid heavy-ness and present lows, the full maple cap to attack the darkness coming from the mahagony with its upper mids and brightness and then the maple neck to assist in the attacking and death of the mahagony, and the ebony fret board to make it alittle over the top with the attacking the mahagony

the bill lawrence l500xl is a nice pickup and it takes the character of the wood and guitar pretty dramatically, so i'm trying to get something going for a good razor edged tone, and i think(hope) the mahagony and maple with their assist with the mid frequencies would give it a completely different sound than i'm used to with my alder rhoads with an l500xl

so that way i might end up with a guitar not lacking brightness and mids, and not sounding like a kleenex box , unless if i am completely wrong about my whole warcraft battle thing (i dont even play that shiz)

i'm retarded please help

Originally posted by agonydeathmurder
    i'm retarded please help

sorry, but that just cracks me up!

Comment

or maybe something like an ash body with a maple top ?

sorry, but that just cracks me up!

Comment

Go out and play a Sunburst Les Paul from the 70's - same construction you're describing. That will give you an idea. Then take off about 25% of the thump and chunk the LP gives you and you'll have an idea.

Tonally, there's nothing wrong with the combination you describe. I always feel wood is just the starting point - the rest you do with pickups and EQ.

Example - I have a USA Fusion and a Gibbo SG both with the same bridge pickup - Duncan Screamin' Demon. The Fusion is basswood body, maple neck, ebony board. The SG is mahagony neck/body and ebony board. In comparing them, I found the SG the most pleasing sonically - plugged into my amp without tweaking the EQ. I thought the Fusion sounded thinner and more broken up, almost like a presence control turned up too high. So, I tweaked the EQ on the amp - added mids, took down the presence, and lo and behold, got a very similar sound to the SG with the Fusion.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
        X