how do you get a nut off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you get a nut off?

got a cheapo guitar with a standard plastic nut that's at least 1/8" to high but, I can't remove it to shave down the bottom of the nut. there isn't any paint holding it on at the edges, and I scored the edges with a razor blade.

So, what procedure do people use to remove their nuts? ? What type of adhesive would they have used while manufacturing it?

X-acto saw. I would try to break the bond first with a tip of a x-acto knife. Make sure you wear safety glasses in case it snaps or breaks and shoots off. A small file too will take it out.

Comment

Just file down the top of the nut and cut the string slots lower.If you want to take it off score the sides and front and use a small screwdriver and a small hammer and tap from the fingerboard side of the nut it should pop right off.
      If is a Fender strat type nut just tap from the sides and push it out of the slot.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

thats better advice.. it should be able to pop out if tapped from the sides but some cheapies I've had required some more intensive means.

Comment

My wife does it for me sorry, couldn't resist...
          EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

It all starts with lotion for me.
            Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Originally posted by jcm800x
              It all starts with lotion for me.
              And a good magazine!
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

My fiance used to do it.

Lately, I've been having to do it myself.

Comment

Mine swallows
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat
                    Mine swallows
                    Your hand swallows??
                    Man, I gotta learn that trick! That would cut down on the laundry bill drastically huh!
                    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002
                      Your hand swallows??
                      Man, I gotta learn that trick! That would cut down on the laundry bill drastically huh!
                      :ROTF: Mark, when you find out the secret, pm me.
                      Scott
                      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat
                        Mine swallows
                        Mine spits it out!!
                        I love admins!

Comment

Man Ive tried my hardest (pun intended ) to stay out of this thread... but I just couldnt!
                          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

If the nut is in a slot like Fender, you can tap it on the end to slide it out. If it's not in a slot like a Gibson LP, but just on a shelf, remove the trussrod cover to get it out of the way, then get a very wide flathead screwdriver, rest it at the base of the nut on the fretboard, and gently tap the end of the screwdriver with a small hammer or another screwdriver handle. Start at one end of the nut and work your way to the other.

Most plastic nuts these days have little dowels on the bottom and they fit into little holes in the shelf of the neck. You not only have to break the glue seal holding them on, but also the dowels. They're only about as thick as a toothpick, and not very long.
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Charvelguy and Newc, it is a fender style. i did tap it on the side and got it removed but a small amount of the nut plastic remained stuck to the fretboard. So, I'll just carefully dremel that off and shave about 1/8" off the bottom. I'll probably replace it eventually with a lock nut or a better nut. It is kind of soft plastic. I'm experimenting with it. I just bought it originally for a cheap body but who knows what I'll end up doing with it. It is a G. Burton (bridgecraft) strat. here is an example: wow they more than doubled the price since I bought mine. yeah i know they get you with the shipping though, and UPS brokerage fee if your in Canada.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PURPLE-ELECTRIC-...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Working...
                              X