Charvel mod? Do or don't?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel mod? Do or don't?

Well I got my first Charvel recently and I love it to death, the neck is a dream to play!
    According to sources on this forum (I'm not sure myself since i bought i used) it's a Japanese "Standard".
    I'm wondering if I should do any modifications to it though. There's nthing wrong with it, but I'm wondering if I should have someone apply some colors to it, you know make it a bit more special.. I want people to be able to recognize it instantly, to say "Oh, I know whose guitar that is!"
    Any suggestions on colors, or is it perhaps nicer-looking as it is..? What do you think?

I was also thinking about installing a Floyd Rose trem, I asked a guy at a local guitar store about it, but he would seriousely try to talk me out of it... Turns out he wasn't a big fan of FL's anyway.. But was there something more behind it? Could I risk screwing up the entire way the guitar feels and plays?

Hmmm, how do I upload pics.. I'll put a pic up as soon as I figure it out
    Last edited by Guitardude86; 08-10-2006, 07:20 PM.
    "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Last edited by Guitardude86; 08-10-2006, 08:01 PM.

Comment

If it plays great leave it alone. There are many guitars out there that are already like you describe buy them and keep other original.

Comment

I'd say do what makes you happy, but I agree with jtr. The cost of a refin & a new OFR installed would probably be more than what you'd pay for some pretty nice floyded Model Series or toothpaste logo Charvels. Plus, you'd have another guitar, which is always a good thing (despite what my wife says )!

Comment

Hail yesterday

Comment

Yeah, that's the one. Thanks G

Comment

These guitars aren't in very high demand anyway (due to the headstock shape I guess), so modding one all to hell would make it harder to resell, should you decide to. If you plan on keeping it forever, I'd say do what you want.

Comment

Kahler!!
                I love admins!

Comment

You mispelled "Killer" :ROTF:

But yeah, Floyd that bugger. It's a 24 fret import Charvel, and they didn't exactly sell really well to begin with, especially to this bunch. Those that did sell the most were Floyded anyway, so go with the Flo(yd) and tell Anti-Floyd-dude at the shop to smoke an egg.

Putting a Floyd on it will not change the playability of the neck. However, you will want to have it recessed to keep the string angle (Fender-style bridges have a lower profile than a top-mounted OFR, so you recess the OFR to keep from having to shim the neck angle, thus changing the playability somewhat).

If you do resell it later, you're gonna get hammered anyway, so you may as well do whatever you want to it and resign yourself to the fact that you'll have to eat whatever you put into it, including your original purchase price.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

You seem happy with the guitar and only really want to mod it for the sake of modding. I would also say buy another import guitar for cheap and re-fin and mod it. Go overboard on it and you'll end up with something special and unique.

Comment

Working...
                    X