Tunering keys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tunering keys?

Which are better Sperzel locking tuners, or Grover locking tuners, or Schaller locking tuners??
    Last edited by sl2lover; 08-08-2006, 10:09 AM.
    I love admins!

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I have all three on guitars. IMO, it's a cosmetic issue. The Sperzels are my fav, but the finishes are anodized looking rather than plated. If you like the "old school" plated look go with Schaller or Grover. I also have a set of Planet Wave locking tuners on my Charvel Model 1. They're cool because they cut the string off for you as you tighten and wind the string all in one operation.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Anyone tried the Wilkinson locking tuners? GuitarFetish.Com sells them, and they are plated, but appear to have two string holes per tuner for bass or treble side. If they're any good, they would be a very affordable alternative to the other brands.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65
        The Sperzels are my fav, but the finishes are anodized looking rather than plated. If you like the "old school" plated look go with Schaller or Grover.
        Check ebay. They also make them in shiny chrome as well as the standard matte satin.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone
          Anyone tried the Wilkinson locking tuners? GuitarFetish.Com sells them, and they are plated, but appear to have two string holes per tuner for bass or treble side. If they're any good, they would be a very affordable alternative to the other brands.
          Yep, got a black set on my Model 1. Love them.

Alvin
          MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Well I'm thinking of putting them on my project Rhoads, instead of the Kahler string locks it has! Are there any that would just fit right in??
            I love admins!

Comment

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I have all three on guitars. IMO, it's a cosmetic issue. The Sperzels are my fav, but the finishes are anodized looking rather than plated. If you like the "old school" plated look go with Schaller or Grover. I also have a set of Planet Wave locking tuners on my Charvel Model 1. They're cool because they cut the string off for you as you tighten and wind the string all in one operation.
              I was considering tossing some of those on 1 of my Jacksons how do they match up???

sorry not trying to hijack the thread here.....
              “The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is winning an argument with a liberal”

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
                Check ebay. They also make them in shiny chrome as well as the standard matte satin.
                Cool, they are making them in shiny chrome now. I didn't know that!
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Yeah, shiny chrome and shiny gold. I'm not sure about any other colors offhand.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.C
                    I was considering tossing some of those on 1 of my Jacksons how do they match up???

sorry not trying to hijack the thread here.....
                    I'm curious which ones match up as well! I don't wanna gut my Rhoads at all!
                    I love admins!

Comment

Originally posted by sl2lover
                      I'm curious which ones match up as well! I don't wanna gut my Rhoads at all!
                      I know the Planet Waves' use the same screw mounting holes as on a Jackson. The Sperzels do not use mounting holes (no ears). They use a locator pin underneath the gear housing that can also be removed. I believe the Schallers are the same.

Comment

I know the Planet Waves' use the same screw mounting holes as on a Jackson. The Sperzels do not use mounting holes (no ears). They use a locator pin underneath the gear housing that can also be removed. I believe the Schallers are the same.
                        So no new holes is what your saying??
                        I love admins!

Comment

Originally posted by sl2lover
                          So no new holes is what your saying??
                          No new holes for the Planet Waves. They will use the existing Jackson or Charvel screw holes that were occupied by the Gotoh made Jackson tuners. On the Sperzel's and Schaller's, if you use the "antispin" guide pin, a 5/64" hole is drilled under the tuner body. If you don't want that hole you can remove the pin and use the hex nut to hold the tuner in the headstock. I always drill that hole, so I don't have to tighten the hex nut much. The tuners come with a template for locating the pin hole for drilling. Note: Always use a piece of masking tape on your drill bit to mark the depth of the hole before drilling. With these tuners, you will have the existing "ear" holes left over by the screw mount stock tuners exposed. You can fill then with some waterbased wood putty or just leave them alone. (wipe on, wipe off)
                          Pics

Schaller
                          http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/G...s.html#details

Sperzel

Planet Waves

Hope this helps picture these a little better

Comment

Schaller
                            Hope this helps picture these a little better
                            There seem to be two types of Schaller locking tuners available, the ones mentioned above and those:

http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/tune...=guitar_tuners

These are direct replacements for Gotohs, Jacksons,... and fit perfectly without any modification whatsoever.
                            I have them on all of my guitars and like them very much.

Comment

As Mr. Spock would say, "Interesting"

Comment

Working...
                              X