Pick scuffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick scuffs

My 2005 Charvel CS Dweezil is the only guitar I own which I bought brand new. It's showing an excessive amount of pick scratches and scuffs. I've owned it less tha a year and it looks worse than all my other 90's import Charvels. I don't play it that much. It shares stage time with my Jem 777 FP. I also never practice with it, I reserve it for live use.

I can't understand why the finish isn't holding up. Is it the color that reveals more use? What can I use to buff out the dullness?

The finer car finish polishes work well. I've hear that there's a mcquires that works well, I use Griots garage (griotsgarage.com) fine hand polish, it'll make a pickguard on a strat shine like new. Maybe you need to choke-up on the pick a bit?

Comment

car wax is the ticket.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

The Fender/Meguiar's guitar polish kit is really nice. I recommend it.

Comment

I figured a quality polish would work.

It irritates me that after all these years, why now am I experiencing excessive scratches on my best guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by catzodellamarina
            I figured a quality polish would work.

It irritates me that after all these years, why now am I experiencing excessive scratches on my best guitar?
            It might be from the setup. the bridge, low action, strings, even the pickups play a part. But if it has lower action then your other guitars it could explain the scratchs happening more. Maybe take a closer look at the guitars and compare string height.

Comment

It’s funny how some guitars easily show pic. scratches, whilst others seem almost bullet proof.

Plastic pickguards will obviously show wear easily & quickly, but that PS2 I bought on eBay a few weeks back shows almost no pick marks at all (no pickguard on that model), and looks like maybe someone just played it maybe 50 hours…yet the fret-wear shows that in fact someone played it within an inch of it’s life lol..

One factor is whether guys strum a lot of chords vs. picking a lot of lead stuff….playing lots of chords will quickly show a mass of scratches, whereas on that PS2 for example someone played a lot of solo stuff around 12th to 20th, and that tends to show deep fret-wear but without many pick scratches on body/guard.

Ian.

Comment

Stop dragging your nails across the finish when you pick.

Or better yet, learn how to not hit the body with the pick (if that's what you're doing). Follow-through is good for Golf, bad for playing guitar, mmkay?

It could also be that yours was tested heavily before it left the factory.
                I fully expect my War Angel to arrive with scuffs, seeing as how they "had to pry it away" from the guy who was testing it
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                X