What pickups would suit me best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pickups would suit me best?

Hello all. I play alot of Metallica, Tool, Godsmack style metal in my band and I am wondering What pickups would best suit my music style. I currently have one guitar with a EMG 81/60 combo that I am replacing the 60 with an 85 here soon. The 60 is just too bassy for me. On my othe rguitar, a DK2, I have the S/S/H setup with Seymour Duncan JB TB4 and STK-1 pups. This guitar sounds great but is there any better picksup for my style of music?

Also I have been considering taking the EMG's out of the other guitar and putting some Duncans in it just because I love the sound of the Duncans over the EMG's. Any recommendations on two humbuckers? And would I have to get new pots or can I just use the old ones. Thanks.

You will definitely need to change the pots if you're replacing the EMG's. The rule of thumb is 500k for humbuckers and 250k for single coils.

For metal, I'm a huge fan of the Duncan Distortion pair. It's a way verstaile set for all different kinds of metal. And they can be good for other styles as well, just use your tone and volume knobs.

Comment

My favorite Duncan is the Custom. The Custom 5, Custom Custom, & Distortion are also excellent. The Distortion may be what you're looking for for your style of music, but don't rule out the Custom. For the neck position, a 59 is always nice. You'll need 500k pots to replace the 25k EMG pots. On the DK2, again I'd recommend a Custom or Distortion over the JB. Some like the JB, but I don't at all. As for the singles, STK-1s are good. If you want to dry something different, a Hot Rails in the neck can kick some serious ass.

Sorry for the repetitive stuff. Travis posted while I was typing.

Comment

If you can spend some bucks check out the WCR Ironman pickup its a 22 DC res pickup and is a killer, string definition is quite prominate the mids are cut back a little but very very ballsy.Its an in your face pickup not for every body.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

If your looking for passive, definitely try some of the Duncan Custom pups. I have a Custom in my KE1, and it sounds 100 times better than the original TB4. At the same time, I have a WR1 with a PATB2 in the bridge and Full Shred in the neck...I'm putting EMG's in it. The PATB2 screams like fuck but for my gear (high gain) it seems a little harsh the longer I own it. I bought a WRMG last year (EMG HZ's) and threw in the 81/85 combo...I can't believe how good it sounds now. I like both but for metal I still say EMG's...
          Hear the universe scream
          Bleeding from black holes
          Whom horns careless
          And whom God mourns

Comment

Originally posted by BigMESA
            I currently have one guitar with a EMG 81/60 combo that I am replacing the 60 with an 85 here soon. The 60 is just too bassy for me.
            If the 60 is too bassy for you, then you're gonna hate the 85 in the neck. The 60 is the brightest humbucker EMG makes. I love EMGs, prefer the 85 in the bridge with either a 60 or 81 in the neck. I don't mind 85s in the neck either, but I just prefer a brighter neck pup nowadays with a warmer bridge pup.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

They forgot to say: "Welcome to the Board". It's a great place.
              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
              X