A perfect way to spend the day: repairing a broken headstock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A perfect way to spend the day: repairing a broken headstock

Okay then, the one solid body I owned the longest of all my guitars is my 1989 Squier Stratocaster lovingly nicknamed the "Veteran". Of which I bought new back in 1991. I have since gigged the crap out that guitar and modified it beyond recognition. Prior to today the "Veteran" looked like this

But I had it in mind to restore the old girl back to Strat hood, I took out the double locking bridge and the soapbar and replaced them with the proper strat set up and vibrato next on the list was the fitting of a proper squier strat neck, an eighties squier neck to be exact. One of my gear buddies told me that he had a 1985 neck lying around but it had a broken headstock. "Nothing I can't fix" I tell him and I took the neck with me. and for your amusement I documented the fix of that neck.

The break from the side
    The break from the front
    These two pictures show the extend of the break and they also show the piece of maple I used to fix it. I cleaned up the break by gently sawing off the splinter pieces and planed it with some 180 flint paper.

glueing the new piece of wood to the headstock
    Here's the headstock in the clamps with the new piece of maple in place while the Construction Tix is drying. Construction tix is really cool stuff. We use it a lot if we need to fix something quickly but securely.

Here's the headstock after the glue has dried. ready for shaping.

The headstock after shaping and after I drilled the holes for the E, A and D tuners
    and from the front

Finally, here's the headstock after I stained the new piece of maple I glued onto it.

Now I need to work on finishing it. That split between the E and A tuner holes looks worse than it actually is, you don't even notice it when the tuners are in place.

Nice work.
    www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

Whoa, that's like magic!
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Very, VERY clean job!
        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Looks great my first headstock repair doesnt look that great but hey it works and hold tune.. i will get pics of it up soon. its a DK2S.. that fell from the top row at work and did a faceplant on the floor and snapped off at the G string tuner.

Comment

Damn, dude. Nice work. I gotta tell you, that looks really nice.
            Scott
            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

yes, that's very nice,I like doing all my own work to, whenever possible.
              METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Nice work. Was the bass-side E tuner hole originally miss-drilled, or did that end up as a result of the repair? (It dosn't appear to be in the correct location, compared to the others).
                I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k
                  Nice work. Was the bass-side E tuner hole originally miss-drilled, or did that end up as a result of the repair? (It dosn't appear to be in the correct location, compared to the others).
                  Well basically, I fucked up on that.

Comment

Ah. No biggie. You could always dowel and re-drill, if it was an issue, I guess. Still, very cool work.
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                    X