No announcement yet.

Storing guitar with strings off or on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing guitar with strings off or on?

If I'm keeping my guitars in their cases for a long time, should I leave the strings on or take them off? Also should I put some dehumidifiers in there?

IMHO, the strings should be on, and tuned to pitch. I've always heard horror stories of guitars turning into bananas when the truss rod has nothing to work against (when the strings are removed for extended periods of time). Also the strings will be the first (metal) thing to absorb excess moisture in the case. Without them, expect other parts (pickups, bridge) to start to rust first. As for humidity, I use those little silica gel bags and leave them on the bridge/pickups. Always check your axes at least once a month to ensure that everything is ok.
    The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

I leave mine strung up and tuned as best as I can. I check in on them from time to time, but some don't see the light of day for extended periods of time.

I always wonder if some day I'll open a case and find one with a neck like a bow and arrow. But so far, so good. My oldest is a 1976 Explorer and the neck is still fine.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

That's an interesting point . The truss rod is rigid but the wood around it is not. The truss rod is not attached to the neck except at the top and bottom. The strings are an intregal part in keeping the status quo. Based on that and my experience, I would store the guitar with strings attached and in tune.
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I've always kept mine when not in use in the case and tuned to pitch. And usualy they're still in tune when I get them out again. Even my thinnest necked one my 92 Stealth Pro. Keep the strings and too pitch what ever that pitch may be. Tension is key to keeping things stable. And the silica jell is a good idea too
          Gil

Comment

as a guitar tech myself, i have heard of different ways to "store" your guitars....here are my thoughts. storing your guitar with strings on and tuned to pitch is surely the best way -- in the case is good, hanging is not a bad idea either (the guitar is less likely to have problems with moisture or humidity) -- if you store in the case, use some kinda drying agent bags (silica gel - I believe this was already said)..

if you must store your guitar without strings....take tension off the trussrod until the neck is straight (this takes the back bow out of the neck that appears without string tension) -- that would be the best way without strings.

anyway -- be sure to check up on your stored guitars at least once a month, give them a wipe down, tune them up & let them know you still love them....if you can't give them that kind of attention -- you have TOO MANY!

Comment

What Stratcat said. Tuned to pitch, hanging or in a case, or detuned with the trussrod loosened completely to remove all stress from the neck.

ANd Checking once a month is a definite must.

Comment

Working...
              X