Doing Trans finish on a figured top?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing Trans finish on a figured top?

I've used the search function & not much came up, any body here done this type of finishing work before? Any help or tips would be great.
    I got a Body from Denny ( Slash) from the board here & I want to do a Trans Blue finish on a quilt maple top.
    Any tips clues or direction would help I have the StewMac dye in Blue i was gonna use but can't get the shade I'm looking for.
    Thanks in advanced.

If there is a Board member here who does this type of work contact me also I might just commision the work out as I have no priar knowledge of this type of work.
    According To The Prophecy

Using a black dye will pop the grain on any color. The simplist method of acheiving the shade you want is by mixing and using a combination of dyes on a scrap piece of maple. Of course, once you get the shade on the scrap, then go for the guitar. Once dry several coats of polyurethane automotive clear coat does the trick.
    Another method is to tint the clear coat you will be using or use a House of Kolor candy color for the sahde you are looking for.
    Last edited by Bengal65; 08-03-2006, 01:52 PM.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

what type of blue are you looking for ? if it's the aquamarine, I used waterman pen inkt to stain mine
      http://www.pixum.nl/members/freddons...04156278e774bb

by using an airbrush to apply it I could get a lighter more mateo blue colour but in the end I went for a burst

Comment

Thats a great looking finish I'm going for more of a Saphire Blue myself I messed with the color a bit already but nothing solid. I'm useing the stewMac water based dye.
        According To The Prophecy

Comment

Might want to try one of the Stew-Mac DVD's on finishing. I never have, but it might help.

Comment

Working...
          X