1 meg pot vs. 500k?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 meg pot vs. 500k?

I'll be changing the volume pot in my Charvel Star since it crapped out, and I think I'll also be changing out the Duncan Custom 5 bridge pup (its scooped mids and slight vintage sound are not doing it for me) to a DiMarzio Tone Zone. I'll be keeping the Jazz in the neck. It's got only a volume pot and three-way toggle. I was thinking of trying a 1 meg pot instead of the 500k, but would it be too bright especially without a tone pot? I've never had a guitar with a 1 meg pot, so what benefits would it bring, if any?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

You'll get to say "This one goes to 1000!"
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

It will make it a little brighter. Thats all.

Comment

Thanks, John!

Comment

I have an rsguitarworks super pot in my bullseye(model 2) its a custom taper CTS pot/ brass shaft. The pot measures 571 and its not excessivly bright as are the 1 megs I have tried. This is the very best pot CTS makes lots of control thru the entire sweep of the pot.I have an old DiMarzio super D in the guitar and this combination set this guitar to life.The tone is thick and strong so strong it hurts your chest at moderate vol.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I think you start to see diminishing returns on pot sizes. 500K is a lot brighter than 250K, 1meg a little brighter than 500K, 2meg a tad more than 1meg...

The nice thing with getting a larger pot,, is that all you have to do is turn the little knob to lower it LOL! You can't turn a 500K pot up to 1meg (unless you tweak it).

Also, if 1meg does get on your nerves and you hate trying to keep the volume at 9 all the time, you can bridge the pot with a resistor or a small cap to kill off some of the highs.

Comment

Cool. Thanks, guys.

Comment

Working...
              X