One dead fret?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One dead fret?

I noticed on one of my guitars that on the high e-string the 6th fret rings but for a split second and is real dead sounding. the frets higher than that sound kind of tinny but not near as bad as the 6th. every other fret on every other string is ok. What could cause this? BTW the fret wire looks fine

The fret up from that one is a little higher than the rest, a slight fret leveling is needed to drop that one to the level of the others.
    METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonaxes
      The fret up from that one is a little higher than the rest, a slight fret leveling is needed to drop that one to the level of the others.
      Cool thanks...it was the 8th fret not too sure that matters. How might you do that? Is it easy enogh to do myself or better off at a luthier? Kind of sad its a USA Jackson. Not sure it would of went unnoticed. I guess I am a picky mofo!

Comment

If you have never done any fret work it's best to leave it to a competent tech.What I have done is use the fine grit side of a sharpening stone, center it on the fret that needs lowering,rotate the stone in a circular motion covering a few frets in both directions,before doing this take a permanent marker, and black out the high fret and the ones on either side of it, when the marker starts to dissappear on the frets on either side, you have reduced the one in question down to there level if it's only a few thousands of an inch high it should'nt take much, polish the frets with xxx grade steelwool, and your done, in most cases not enough material has been removed to require re-crowning the frets.DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS IF YOU DONT FEEL CONFIDENT, just take it in and have it done. Bill
        METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

most definately have it done by a qualified tech or luthier! sometimes buzzes can be decieving -- take it to a guitar tech, have a complete setup with new strings, intonation, action, neck, etc.. have the tech look it over from nut to bridge to make sure it is not another problem...fret work can get expensive if you go to the right guy, so make sure it is not another problem...

Comment

Working...
          X