I need a killer pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a killer pickup

I'm looking for a humbucker style pickup that scream through everything. I'll use it for cleans and distortion in the bridge position. I want an in your face sound and I have no idea where to start looking. What would be recomended by all the guitar gods out there?

[ March 12, 2003, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: guitarplayer ]

Re: I need a killer pickup

Has anyone heard or played a duncan dimebucker?

Comment

Dimebuckers are cool, so is a Duncan Invader, lots of mid's and lows in the Invader, very heavy. Also an EMG 81.

Pat

Comment

Yeah, like Pat said, the Invader has lots of gain, lows and mids. The DiMarzio X2N has a little more high end, lots of gain. EMGs are also awesome, but I don't think they're quite as high gain as those mentioned above. I do love EMGs, though, and actually prefer the warmer sound of the 85 over the 81, and their output is about the same. Never tried the Dimebucker, but I've heard some people love them and some people hate them.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Play around with this link...

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...ard/hummer.htm

I had the PATB-2 Duncan DistortionTM TrembuckerTM and it was awesome!... really clean full distortion. Unfortunately this pickup is rare to come across and it is very expensive.

Comment

I am a little unsure what the cleans would sound like through the dimebucker or the Invader but they would be great for the heavy stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by rodrigo_echeverri:
              I had the PATB-2 Duncan DistortionTM TrembuckerTM and it was awesome!... really clean full distortion. Unfortunately this pickup is rare to come across and it is very expensive.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I just sold one on eBay. It went for $75 AUD with one bid. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

If you really to be a killer, why don't you use Metal LiveWire Humbucker. You cannot play it clean on this pickup. But I never really use it. I really wonder why they never mentioned this pickup in the message board?

Comment

Metal Livewires are INSANE! I put one in a friend's Les Paul. That baby would overdrive a refrigerator! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

...and priced accordingly! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

duncans: jb, distortion, invader, dimebucker
                      dimarzio: x2n, super distortion
                      emg: 81
                      lawrence: xl500

those are the high gain pickups from the larger pickup makers.

sully
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

thanks guys this helps a lot

Comment

You can't get "insane gain" and clean in the same pickup, unless you're willing to settle for "gritty clean" like SRV's tone. Your best bet for a distortion-class bridge is the Duncan Distortion. I've been comparing the Gibson 500T in my Les Paul to the Distortion in my PCS and JCF Rhoads', and the Distortion is the better pickup.
                          I won't even rate the JB - it's become my least-favorite pickup, even though it's only slightly different bass-wise than the Gibson 500T (i.e. less bass response). It's a better hard rock/ Heavy Metal pickup than a Thrash Metal pickup - great of you're doing two-guitar rhythms/leads like Maiden or Priest that aren't soaking in gain, as opposed to Megadeth/Metallica.

Newc
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

If you want a high output pickup that does not produce its own distortion may I suggest a Persuader Lead DRX from Adder Plus. I posted on the import jackson string with their address and phone# but I will post it here to

Adder Plus Corp
                            1287 Rand Rd.
                            Des Plaines Ill 60016
                            Toll Free at 1-800-423-3378

EMG's are good but nothing beats this pickup for a clean brdge pick up.
                            Plus they are custom made.
                            An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
                            A tooth for a tooth means we all eat through a straw.

Comment

I found a used jb at a pawn shop for $45.

Is this too much to pay?

I think I'll buy a couple different used pickups and use them in my guitar played through my rig till I find "the one" for me.

thanks for all your suggestions

Comment

Working...
                              X