I think I caught a fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I caught a fish

Anybody know the real story on this thing? I think it is the bastard step child of the Bob Davis silver soloist thing that Jim Shine owns (from his web site). Overall it is nice playing shred machine after it was set up. It is light weight and sounds great (thick). Neat coil tap on the humbucker which I think is a Dimarzio. I'd like to know what the hell the asian graphic says? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Nice bone fish on the back (it doesn't smell either):p Oh yeah, no serial # on the neck? Rosewood fingerboard, real Floyd, Sperzels (non locking). I take sorry ass pics, might be because of the 5 Lagers I've already had [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Re: I think I caught a fish

I can sort of help with the graphic.

First of all, it's upside down. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] It's read vertically and the top is on the right side in the photo. It almost says "ten ka mu teki" which would mean unmatched or invincible. (That's the Japanese reading. I'd guess the phrase exists in Chinese too, but it'd be read differently.) The last character looks wrong though. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] It looks like the character for "father," which renders the whole phrase nonsensical.

What happens, unfortunately, in a lot of these cases is that the artist doesn't understand Japanese or Chinese so they end up writing gibberish.

That's a neat looking guitar though. I like the pointy finish behind the nut. Oh, also, the inlay on the bottom horn is the character for "heart." (As in soul, not the actual organ.) It's in the proper orientation in the photo. So, when you're holding the guitar, it's rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

Comment

woah, now that's cool. the pickups look wild...almost like rust.

-Mike
      www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

The fish on the back.

Pick-ups are painted with a pink/gold flake finish.

Moro, Thanks for the transcription, now I can tell my kids what it means.

Comment

Just for fun, here's what the phrase should say:

天下無敵

Here's what it actually says:

天下無父

Here's the inlayed "heart" character:

You'll need a Japanese enabled browser to see them properly. If you're running Firefox or Mozilla, I think you can just go under View -> Character Encoding and pick Japanese (Shift_JIS).

Comment

I think I'll go with the "invincible father with a heart that speaks gibberish when he has had to much to drink" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Heh.

That's a cool fish on the back. It also looks like there's writing on the bellycut?

Comment

Holy crap, I remember that thing on Ebay many times, and it never sold. Certainly unique.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

wow, i think thats *really* cool.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Heh.

That's a cool fish on the back. It also looks like there's writing on the bellycut?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, It's a date xx-xx-80

Comment

i didn't see the fish when i last replied...now that's a cool little detail! i also forgot to mention, the stinger on the back of the neck/headstock is sweet! again, nice guitar!

-Mike
                      www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I remember that thing on Ebay many times, and it never sold. Certainly unique.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought it, thought it was unique and got it pretty cheap. Played like shit when it arrived, put a nice set-up on it and a walla. Looks great on stage with the lights.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          the stinger on the back of the neck/headstock is sweet!-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

So that's what those things are called! I really like that detail too!

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] sweet one ! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Now i think i have seen this rare one at justins jcguitars.com and i think its a celeb axe [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]i cant remember i may be wrong ? but [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]??? see ya , killer axe ! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] happy 4th of july weekend to everyone have a BLAST ! see ya , alz [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] p.s. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] alzjr 10 mos old today !

Comment

Working...
                            X